24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need your adice-Tire shop broke tierod sleeve

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need your adice-Tire shop broke tierod sleeve

I stopped in my local tire shop to get a nail hole pugged. I bought the tires from them. Patches, plugs and rotation are free with purchase.

The shop guy repairs the tire and rotates the tires. I tip him and hop in my truck to leave. I back out and pull into 4 lanes of traffic, the first lane is the only one available. The truck wont steer right. IT WONT TURN RIGHT. I cant believe it. A semi and other cars coming at me at 55mph and I cant turn and I am going to get hit if I dont take evasive action. As soon as I can I floor it, cross 4 lanes of traffic and end up on the median.

upon inspection I see the sleeve on the tierod end and tierod bar is bent up with a fresh break and the bolts are locking up on the spring mount on the axle on a right hand turn. It looks like the jack slipped from the axle and caught the tierod sleeve.

Called AAA got a tow home and replaced the tie rod end and sleeve. now I have what I can descibe as a clunk when I turn the wheel side to side. I can feel dead space and then a catch and the tires turn. Kinda hard to descibe.

Could I have broken the steering gear box? I had my neighbor turn the wheel back and forth and I was under the front end. I could see the play in the steering box before it moved the arm and can hear a kind of clunk.

Thanks for any thoughts. The tire shop accepted responsibilty. Said they would pay for parts and labor.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:19 PM

Since my post I took the truck in and they found the problem. Bad track bar. We suspect it is just worn out. I guess I will be looking for a replacement.

Suggestions on that? lol I will do a search here. I know it has been talked about.

Mods feel free to delete if you like.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:18 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Glad it has ended "fairly" well. Regarding the track bar, it depends how much you want to spend. Best bang for the buck is a jobber replacement from Moog. Bigger ball/socket and stronger than OEM. there are also several "specialty" track bar setups out there if you want to spend more.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's a 4x4 I'd go with one of the specialty pieces, but id 2WD I'd go with the Moog.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Banned

Fix it once - Thuren. Give Don a call & make sure what is needed for your truck.