24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

My truck quit running and I dont know why.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck quit running and I dont know why.

I have had no problems with it at all untill today, I pulled out into traffic shifted to 3rd and in the middle of accelerating it just died!? I have a TST PM3 with the R-46 remote and I noticed that the remote had died. Naturally I checked the fuse to the TST and it was good, the truck even turned over no problem. Well I noticed the ground on the drivers side battery was a little loose so I tightened it and the TST remote lit up again. I thought maybe it just ran out of fuel so I cracked 2 injectors and I got no fuel after spinning the engine over for a while. I had it towed but I dont know where else to look, I checked the fuses in the block on the drivers side dash and under the hood but everything looked good. Any ideas? I'm stumped.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Registered

I beleive that the 00 can check for codes with the key trick. What about your fuel pressure?
Old 06-20-2007, 08:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
no fuel at the injectors more than likey means IP. and that your lift pump either died at the same time or has been dead for awhile. or maybe as simple as a plugged filter. just my .02.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by blackdiesel
I beleive that the 00 can check for codes with the key trick. What about your fuel pressure?
Yeah it can and while trying to cycle the lift pump I noticed it did throw a Powertrain code it was 1609 or 1906 or something like that. Ive researched my problem and I HOPE I just vaporlicked the IP, I had the TST on level 9.
Its never done this before, I hope I just need to crack more than 2 injectors to bleed all the air out of the fuel system. I have loads of fuel coming out of the water bleeder on the filter housing and the truck had at least half a tank when it happened.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:43 AM

Instead of cranking on it, just bump the starter and the lift pump will run for 20 seconds or so. I've heard of this many times before, a hot box will do this sometimes when you let off quickly from hard acceleration. I've been fortunate enough not to have experienced this personally though.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
Instead of cranking on it, just bump the starter and the lift pump will run for 20 seconds or so. I've heard of this many times before, a hot box will do this sometimes when you let off quickly from hard acceleration. I've been fortunate enough not to have experienced this personally though.
Should I bleed the injectors too?

It threw 2 DTC's a P0122 and a P1693
Old 06-21-2007, 08:06 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
vaporlock diesel? i don't think so
Old 06-21-2007, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by johnh
That's what I found on this forum.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by johnh
Yup. It might not technically be vapor lock but that's what everyone calls it. Basically what happens is you go full throttle and then you back off suddenly and some how a vaccum gets created and sucks the fuel out of the injectors and injection pump and you gott go and crack lines and bleed the beast before it'll start again.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Yup. It might not technically be vapor lock but that's what everyone calls it. Basically what happens is you go full throttle and then you back off suddenly and some how a vaccum gets created and sucks the fuel out of the injectors and injection pump and you gott go and crack lines and bleed the beast before it'll start again.
I wish this were my problem, I just found out my IP is bad. The Now I'm looking for the best price.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Banned

I had a feeling that's what it was. I just replaced mine. First one lasted 136k miles. Actually it was running fine when I replaced it but it was losing power and had no timing what so ever in it so it had to go.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:03 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlue
i guess the reason i haven't heard of it is it must be pretty rare i hope it never happens to me
Old 06-21-2007, 07:22 PM
Banned

It seems to be an HO/stick thing. I've never experienced no matter how hard I back off the throttle and I don't know anyone with an auto who has experienced it. Everyone I know with a stick has experienced it some time or another.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen this happen to "autos" at the strip, and at dyno events, before. Back off real fast...the engine dies and won't start again.

Starting fluid does a good job of getting the engine up and running real fast in a situation like this. Just make sure the grid heaters aren't going to cycle "on" when you use starting fluid, though. If the engine is already warm the grid heaters stay "off".
Old 06-22-2007, 08:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yfz450guy
no fuel at the injectors more than likey means IP. and that your lift pump either died at the same time or has been dead for awhile. or maybe as simple as a plugged filter. just my .02.
holy cow!
i was right?
i ain't no diesel mechanic........... but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night.

Quick Reply: My truck quit running and I dont know why.