24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

motor knock or flex plate

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
motor knock or flex plate

my 2001 ctd developed a loud knock/rap 70 mi. after installing amsoil 5-30,an edge comp and a 6000lb camper trailer.I'm thinkin 85000mi. a spun bearing and a warrentee issue. oil pressure still at 40 warm and runnin but drops to 20 warmed up and at idle. Previously didn't drop at idle [ on rottela 15-40].

also ther was a sudden shudder/shock/miss/hesitation when excellerating in 4th after about the first 2 mi. of the 70mi total.the comp was set lowest level 5 [stock?] at the 2mi mark and at level 3 when the knock was noticed [70mi]. Vital signs were all good after the engine recovered from the miss/shudder.

so, now back at the dodge daeler they think it is a flex plate noise after listening to it hammer. $1100 reguired to investigate further!! There goes my wish list bomb budget!!

Does this sound right? any cheaper diagnostic ideas from you experienced cummins/mopar guys?

ps-tranny was rebuilt by cottman 1yr. ago with 2 yr warrentee-thanks.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:19 PM
Banned

Then why don't you take it back to Cottman.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:33 PM

big blue, it.s on its way to cottman as we speak. question, have you heard a flex plate ever sound like a rod knock? if so, what or how does this occur?
what about the drop in oil pressure at idle? not related to a flex plat noise is it? if this turns out to be the flex plate. would any other parts in the neighborhood be affected ? must the trans. come out to diagnose?
If the shock/shudder/hesitation occurance was motor malfunction that was felt down the drive line[flex plate,fly wheel,tc,fastners,input shaft,thrust washers,seals] i'm thinking bite hard and trade in. If just a flex plate, sieze the opportunity to justify upgrading the tc to allow future hp mods!
before gettin more paranoid i better quit here for more input-thanks.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:00 PM

rangerst it is not unusual for your oil pressure to drop to 20 psi at idle using Amsoil. You changed fron 15-40 dino to 5- 30 syn you have to expect an oil pressure drop when you thin the oil out. As for the knock I can't help just wish you the best of luck.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:09 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
A flex plate certainly can sound like a rod knock. A guy I worked for in high school had a Bronco II with a broken flex plate, we were so sure it was a rod knock we pulled the pan.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:38 PM

thanks blackjack and wanna-I;m a bit concerned stillon the oil issue.as I recall. initial pressure at a cold start with 15=40 was about 70 and with 5-30 amsoil about 50. after warmed up , dino oil would cruise about 45-50 and idle at 40 while amsoil syn ran at 40. and idled at just a little under. Your right blackjack,about possible lower operating pressure readings. Yet, i only noticed the 20 lb difference after knock appeared. or so i think-memory is suspect at times!After cottman reports on flex plate , I'll know more and resolve it then. I'll watch the oil pressure . do oil analisis and maybe rerun 15-40 to compare post knock oil pressur at idle. if still same as pre knock idle pressure [40] then assume bearing conditions didn't change? does this sound realistic? whew!
Old 02-17-2004, 10:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I too have heard of flex plate causing knocks. In my case it was a 1978 Ford F150. I bought it with a "rod knock" for cheap, 100.00 I think, and when I got it home I discovered the TC bolts were loose. Tighten them up and sold the truck for about 2000.00.
Something about the flex plate harmonics causes it to sound like a rod knock when loose or busted.

Chris
Old 02-18-2004, 04:11 PM

up date; cottman says they don't think it is the flex plate, visual look seems ok and the TC bolts are tight. Not their problem, probably a bearing knock!

Here we go, the slip out from under the warrantee SHUFFLE !! Back to dodge in the morning, I feel it commin'!

Anyway, any body else running 20lb oil pressure at idle with amsoil 3000 and 85000 mi. ?
Old 02-20-2004, 09:40 AM

up date 2; pulled the trannyand TC. The flex plate [flywheel] was bolted tight and there were no cracks or any signs of problems there!
STRIKE 1
The cost to remove and install flex plate; cottman $425,AAMCO $440 dodge$1100
STRIKE 2
dodge looked at flex plate, pointed to some rust and " it obviously was loose and allowed water to get in on it" was the deturmination. "if not, bring it back and we'll play with some injector lines and see if the knock goes away. Maybe it has a bad injector or something" STRIKE 3

It's "obvious" to me this dealerships service dept. either doesn't have a clue or is hiding alterior motives behind a ' display of ignorance and the runaround', to which I don't understand why.
TIME TO MOVE ON
Anyone know if I can go to a cummins dealer instead of a dodge dealer for this kind of issue? Or am I limited to finding a dodge dealer with hopefully some cummins knowledge? 15,000 left on motor warranty.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:50 AM

PS- while the tranny was out I checked out thre TC and I got the SHD torque converter from Perfect Shift. So for now I'm committed to keeping the truck, hope my lazy clutch leg appreciates this! STY
Old 02-20-2004, 02:07 PM

What are you running for an oil filter?
Old 02-20-2004, 04:23 PM

rURAL. LAST TWO OIL CHANGES I used rotella with frams then I heard they come appart so I used puralator this time with amsoil. Why do you ask? STY
Old 02-20-2004, 06:50 PM

I asked because, as you stated, some filter's media and anti-drain back valve materials have been known to breakdown and clog the piston cooling jets and other things on this engine.

The Purolator is OK, it's on the "approved" list. FWIW, that S3K 5W-30 is not API certified, if that is of any warranty concern. It may provide better fuel economy, but may lack providing a sufficient hydrodymanic cushion if you're towing or driving hard as a 40 grade would.

Best of luck, I hope it isn't anything too serious. For your own protection, I'd get 2 samples of the oil and have them analyzed by 2 different labs for comparison. Also, remove that filter and cut it open to see if there's any evidence in there.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:40 PM

tHANKS R-medic, where do I find the approved list so that I might avoid possible spec conflicts in the future! Here I thought I was affectionatly providing my motor the best lubrosidy and respitory health care! [K&N air in/4" Turboback out]and[amsoil applied medicenally all around]. Think I'm feeling a little hydrody"manic" myself!! Seriously, thanks.I needed to know the puralator was ok going under the warranty scaple and microscopic process.
Access to that list would be appreciated much. STY

PS Which filters did you hear let loose?
Old 02-20-2004, 08:18 PM

Here's the TSB with the "approved list." http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2001/09-004-01.htm

Frams were apparantly the major culprit. Also, the foil sealers from oil containers have also caused the same problem.

Quick Reply: motor knock or flex plate