24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Are MOOG the only problematical ball joints?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6/26/2010 - I changed out the lower MOOG ball joints today. I haven't even had it lined up yet and it drives great. I used the $75 NAPA for the replacements, we'll see how long they last.

After I popped the spindles off I tried to move the MOOGs by hand. The passenger side was very rough and you could feel it had spots that would catch. That was naked, I'll bet it was a lot worse with the weight of the truck on it. The driver's side was fairly smooth.

If I hadn't seen it 1st hand, I would have thought it was just internet B.S.

I had a little over 13k on the Moogs and they never did straighten out.

This is just my experience. I hope it helps somebody.
After reading this I did some searching in all forums regarding Moog lower ball joints. Holy cow, all these hits of people using Moog lowers and they explain my symptoms to a T. I've been chasing this wandering issue for a year and never thought it could be the new Moog lower BJ's that I installed. Trying to figure out my steering issues, I've replace all tie rods, track bar, steering box and added a DSS. I also had a bad pull to the right and the alignment shop thought it was a radial pull. I cross rotated my tires and it really helpd the pull, but I still have the wandering. I've had this thing aligned by 4 different shops and it still wanders. Even though I hate to tackle the job again, I guess I'm going to replace the lower BJ's and see what happens. I hate driving this thing the way it is now.

Anyone have the correct XRF part numbers for my truck?
Old 06-29-2010, 03:08 PM

It went a lot easier this time since I NEVERSIEZED everything the 1st time

Originally Posted by ldornak
After reading this I did some searching in all forums regarding Moog lower ball joints. Holy cow, all these hits of people using Moog lowers and they explain my symptoms to a T. I've been chasing this wandering issue for a year and never thought it could be the new Moog lower BJ's that I installed. Trying to figure out my steering issues, I've replace all tie rods, track bar, steering box and added a DSS. I also had a bad pull to the right and the alignment shop thought it was a radial pull. I cross rotated my tires and it really helpd the pull, but I still have the wandering. I've had this thing aligned by 4 different shops and it still wanders. Even though I hate to tackle the job again, I guess I'm going to replace the lower BJ's and see what happens. I hate driving this thing the way it is now.

Anyone have the correct XRF part numbers for my truck?

I put it off as long as I could too. Since I put neversieze everywhere the 1st time, it came apart a lot nicer the 2nd time around. Plus I had a lot better idea of what I was getting into.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:27 PM

I spoke with Sage @ Carli suspension, and inquired as to why they didn't make a ball joint for the 2nd gen trucks. He said the third gen design is weaker than the 2nd gen and advised I should use the McQuay-Norris extreme duty line of ball joints. I researched it and came up with Upper-FA2187E and lower-FA598E. I'm not sure of the numbers, but it might be a good place to start.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:01 PM

Re-confirmed... Moog lower ball joints = TRASH. Replaced my Moogs with XRFs and the lane wander is gone. They should rename them from Moog "Problem Solvers" to Moog "Problem Creators". I can't beleive I chased this wandering issue around for 14 months and 14K miles. Like SSV, once I got the knuckles off, I grabbed the lowers and moved them around by hand. You could feel rough spots on both sides. I'm going to create a new post telling my entire story so that others may be able to benefit from my ordeal.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:42 PM

Uh-oh! I just put Moog ball joints in my truck as well as tie rods and it wanders like he'll. Way worse than before the job.

Going to check the alignment numbers from the shop. If okay, ball joints!
Old 02-05-2011, 09:13 PM

I just replied to your "I wander" post. I'd put money on the Moogs as your issue.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:08 PM

Installed Moog joints in both my 98.5's, one 3500 and one a 2500. Have about 150K on the 2500 and about 250K on the 3500 and they both drive terrible. The longer the trip, the worse the drive. Haven't detected any wear on them yet. The 3500 stays hooked to a 34 ft. gooseneck and drives much better with the trailer than it does without. It just goes all over the road when you take the trailer off. Can't relax, have to constantly steer it. Does anyone else make a good greasable joint?
Old 02-06-2011, 05:37 PM

I have not done my Dodge yet but I have done a Ford and there was a cam type washer under the top ball joint castle nut with a cotter pin to lock it. The idea was that you rotate it to put equal weight on the upper and lower ball joint or there will be an overload situation causing high friction, jerky steering response, and premature wear and wander. Any chance of this? Moog has a two page Adobe document on this problem that I can look up again if required.