24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

ltc lockin/unlockin again!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 09:58 AM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ltc lockin/unlockin again!!

just went thru this. cleaned all the grounds . even went the extra mile and dielec greased all the conn...month later..same crap

does anyone think that a lockup controller might help this..cuz ill buy one today...im wearing out the battery terminals on this truck
Old 02-21-2008, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you check and adjust the throttle sensor?

I also installed a rfi interfrereance capacitor.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:39 PM

Call Diesel Transmission Technology ( DTT ), www.dieseltrans.com ,
1 866 504 4002, get a noise filter for about $40

P.S. Are your batteries in good shape? If questionable I recommend Optima red tops. Also run a grd wire from the PCM to the battery, connect it to one of the PCM mounting screws. Put tinfoil around the large black/tan stripe wire coming out of the alternator and wrap with tape.

I suspect that pressure washing the engine may contribute to this problem - just my opinion- don't want any arguments.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:13 PM

Believe mentioned earlier that a sensitive brake switch could do this!
One sure wore me out. The brake lights worked fine, it was one of other two switches in switch assy. A vibration of brake pedal would get it going. Was able to test mine by pulling up on pedal lightly and problem greatly reduced.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:31 PM

If it's the brake it should mess up the cruise contoll
Old 02-22-2008, 07:22 AM

I had the same problems, I could clean my battery terminals and it helped for a while but then it would come back. I ended up replacing my battery cables and after a few months the problem is still gone. I couldn't see it until I had the old cables off but the right cable had a big gash in the insulation and was very corroded inside.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:27 PM

Is this what's happening?
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1999/18-02-99.htm
I'm having the exact problem right now. I started happening a few months ago and i did the aluminum foil thing on the wire per instructions on another thread and cleaned all my terminals. It went away but now it's back so I searched around and found this Dodge Service Bulletin that sounds just like my problems so tomorrow I'm taking my truck to go have the PCM flashed per the instructions on this TSB.
Hope this helps you too.
Here's the base website for dodge TSB's http://dodgeram.info/tsb/index.html
Old 02-22-2008, 06:24 PM

Brake switch/ cruise control Yes! Only if cruise on, maybe not due to duration. The corrosion in cable is another possibility.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by CNeubauer
I had the same problems, I could clean my battery terminals and it helped for a while but then it would come back. I ended up replacing my battery cables and after a few months the problem is still gone. I couldn't see it until I had the old cables off but the right cable had a big gash in the insulation and was very corroded inside.
Did you just replace the ground cables? I been thinking of changing mine out to fix the same problem. While cleaning them off and putting new terminals on them I noticed a lot of corrosion and was thinking it has traveled through the cable.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:31 AM

For now that's all I changed but I've got the positive cable when I get time to change it. I got my cables from a place online called custombatterycables.com or something like that, if you do a search for battery cables on this site you'll find the one I'm talking about.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:06 AM
Muted User

it just lock unlocksafter 4th gear. til about 60. then it locks in. tried a filter and well see if it helps. bd diesel is sendin me a free kit that should eliminate the problem w/a resisitor. ill let yall know. i have changed terminals/cleaned em/changed batterys/cables/ and it goes away fer awhile but always comes back w/o warning
Old 02-24-2008, 05:34 PM

you should check the amp drown by the holley pump...i had to chase this same problem with my truck....i tried TPS adjustment...Apps reset the whole nine yards....then i had check the amps on the holley and they where to high...i replace the pump and the TC problem went away..mabbe you transmission is going to act base the voltage reads the ecm gets...dodge really did a number on the way this setup works...i know your fuel system should have anything to do with you trans. but it does...big time....so consider a different fuel supply
Old 02-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Muted User

cannot remember who said it but i put a ferrous noise magnet from radio shack on the alt wire close to the connection and it seems to have helped.!!!!
its been stayin locked in for the last few days..i cant believe it but for 5.99 itried it and its good to go