24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

LP - What are the odds?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LP - What are the odds?

I recently purchased a used '01 CTD Ram 2500 w/65,000 miles on it. The original owner said he never had a LP or VP replaced on the pump. Only one upgrade of something he couldn't remember under warranty. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge on the truck now but plan on putting one on in the next month. The truck drives and runs great and there are no codes. What are the odds that the LP is still working fine? Reading all the posts here makes it sound like they fail pretty regularly.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Banned

1 in 10,000.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i will be on my 3rd in 10months, i got some great odds if its 1 in 10G.

I'd get a FP gauge only way to tell its not an investment its a must have like a gas gauge
Old 07-18-2005, 12:00 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmm.....I'm not so sure about those 1 in 10,000 odds. Regardless of how the truck runs and the absence of codes, you should test the LP pressure asap.....The truck can run fine and not set any codes even with 0 psi at the LP.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by DieselDude
i will be on my 3rd in 10months, i got some great odds if its 1 in 10G........
Yet I have an 02' with 95,000 miles, the original LP and it's working like a champ. I have a theory that goes like this: The majority of the people on this forum joined because they had a problem they need solved. Consequently, when you see a lot of things on here like LP's going bad, you're seeing a skewed percentage. Just a theory though.

BUT, that said I still check my LP pressure at each oil change with a portable Briar Hopper FP gauge.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:27 PM

I HAD ONE REPLACED UNDER WARRENTY TWO SINCE WARRENTY EXPIRED AND AM GOING TOMMORROW TO GET ANOTHER ONE. tHE ONE THAT I AM REPLACING TOMMORROW I PUT ON IN MARCH.
I ALSO ,WITHOUT FAIL, ADD POWER SERVICE AND MYSERY OIL TO EACH TANK OF FUEL FOR LUBRICATION.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by Commatoze
BUT, that said I still check my LP pressure at each oil change with a portable Briar Hopper FP gauge.
I second that motion...even if you are not putting a guage in permanently now, I would check it often using a manual guage...I didn't find out that my stock pump was dead until I put my guages in...thought the guage was bad (electrical).....checked it with a manual guage and sure enough my lift pump was dead...how long? Don't know...put a Holley Black by the tank and the injector pump is still going (knock on wood)...

Main point is this... you know that the pumps in the year model of your truck has a high probability of going out, I'd make sure it's not already out and check often until you get a permanent guage mounted...may save you the $$ in the long run...
Old 07-18-2005, 03:15 PM

Fuel pressure gauges are not that expensive, and it is necessary to monitor the LP pressures. Consider it a cost of buying the truck, and get one in. If you can do it yourself you save some money, if not pay to have it installed. It will quite possibly save you a lot of money in the long run.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:17 PM

My 02 has almost 40,000 miles. The origional lift pump started going out at 38,500, the one I replaced it with went bad amost out of the box. The 2nd replacement seems to be fine in the 1500 miles its seen. If I was buying a used 2nd gen truck, i'd find a way to check the fuel pressure before I even bought the truck.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
get the gage NOW! I just bought an 01 and took it to the dealer to have it tested ....dealer said it was good got my fp gage and had 11 psi and 4 a WOT next morning it was 7 and 3 @ WOT
im ordering another FASS
Old 07-18-2005, 08:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
What are the odds? With a 100% failure rate within 100,000 chances are very good your pump is dead and you are running off your IP which will cost you $1,200 easy.

Order a FP guage tonight.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:56 PM

Ok.....I am scared now. Just ordered a FP gauge from diesel manor along with a boost gauge and A-pillar pod set up. Guess we'll see what she reads once I get it hooked up. How long can an IP last with a dead LP?

Per all the other posts I have read here I plan on just using a needle valve w/o the isolator. Is that pretty much what most of you are all running? It sounds like the isolators don't hold up anyway and you end up with fuel in the cab and you don't know it.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by herb
I HAD ONE REPLACED UNDER WARRENTY TWO SINCE WARRENTY EXPIRED AND AM GOING TOMMORROW TO GET ANOTHER ONE. tHE ONE THAT I AM REPLACING TOMMORROW I PUT ON IN MARCH.
I ALSO ,WITHOUT FAIL, ADD POWER SERVICE AND MYSERY OIL TO EACH TANK OF FUEL FOR LUBRICATION.
JUST GOT BACK FROM CUMMINS THEY REPLACED LIFT PUMP AND QUIETED THE GAUGE RIGHT DOWN NO MORE FLUTTER. ABOUT 20 MILES AFTER I LEFT THE GAUGE STARTED FLUTTERING AGAIN.
GUESS IT HAS TO BE THE GAUGE. I HAVE A MECANICAL GAUGE THAT WAS ORIGINALLY HOOKED UP THRU AN "ISOLATER" (I THINK IT'S CALLED) . WHEN I FIRST TOOK IT OUT OF THE LOOP I HAD NO FLUTTER FOR MONTHS.
DO I HAVE TO PUT AN ISOLATER BACK IN SYSTEM TO QUIET THE GAUGE DOWN OR SHOULD I GO ELECTRIC ?
Old 07-19-2005, 07:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine was smooth for about 15 minutes after changing my lift pump 9/04, been fluttering ever since & I tolerate it . You can install a needle valve on the guage line to dampen the pulses.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:59 PM

where can i get a needle valve? this thing drives me nuts

Quick Reply: LP - What are the odds?