24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

losing the VP44...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
losing the VP44...

Hi all...

A while back I threw a code during some diagnostics. The truck had been running poorly and mpg was going down. The code was 216...
So a good friend of mine who is a mechanic explained the whole transfer pump / injection pump design if you will in the 5.9 diesel. He advised that we first should change the transfer pump because it is much cheaper... and see if that corrects the problem of hesitation under load and some intermittent dead pedal over 2400 rpm. we changed the transfer pump and cleared the codes from the ECM... this was about a 6 weeks ago...
... So, yesterday my Superchips 3705 came in. I'm all kinds of excited thinking everything is cool and this will be a great jump in power for my truck... I set it to the tow safe mode (40 hp) and took it for a test drive and it had major dead pedal... major hesitations under hard accelerations... I assumed that the programmer demanded more fuel from the injection pump and she is just too worn out... possibly as a result from the transfer pump being bad a couple months ago maybe? Plugged back in for to check DTC's and the 216 is back.

I hear the injection pump on this site commonly referred to as the "VP44"... but when I call the dealer and to get a quote on an injection pump; I ask him if this is what they call the vp44 and he had no idea what I was talking about??
Are we talking about the same thing?
And the dealer wants $1700.00 for a remanufactured pump!!
My lord that is expensive!
What do you guys recommend?
also, I have done some reading on a VP44 pump made by Bluechip diesel... they claim it is a little better than the stock pump... it costs 1600.00 bucks...
Here is a link to it: http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/VP44INFO.html
Someone please steer me in the right direction before I drop a load of cash in this truck...
Sorry this got so long...Thanks so much fellas!
Old 03-16-2007, 07:51 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your friend was was right on the money, good starting point is usually to swap the lift pump. Thing is, once the P0216 is thrown it is just a matter of time. There is no such thing as it going away or getting better.
Steer clear of the dealer, they are selling the same reman pump you can buy for yourself for abouy $1,100.
I don't know if the HRVP (modified VP-44) is worth the extra money, you'll get differing opinions on that one. If it were me I would find a stock, reman pump and get another box that can push more fuel (HP) maybe a Edge comp, spending about the same money in the end.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:53 AM

The dealers price on a VP44 was pretty good, for a dealer. Normally you can get a good pump for around $1100. ALL remanned pumps done by a certified shop use the same components. You will here things like "FeEx module, etc, in fact the FedEx module is a prior version and a newer version was released about 14 months ago. The warranty and the vendor is the key. Choose a vendor who you trust and supplies a good warranty and purchase from them.

The VP44 can be replaced yourself pretty easy, plan on 3-4 hours labor for your first install.

Doug
Old 03-16-2007, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jetpilot
The dealers price on a VP44 was pretty good, for a dealer. Normally you can get a good pump for around $1100. ALL remanned pumps done by a certified shop use the same components. You will here things like "FeEx module, etc, in fact the FedEx module is a prior version and a newer version was released about 14 months ago. The warranty and the vendor is the key. Choose a vendor who you trust and supplies a good warranty and purchase from them.

The VP44 can be replaced yourself pretty easy, plan on 3-4 hours labor for your first install.

Doug
What kind of vendor should I be looking at ? Can you recomend one with a good track record? 1100, sounds even better than 1600 for vlue chips version... thank you.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:06 AM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by eichhoma
What kind of vendor should I be looking at ? Can you recomend one with a good track record? 1100, sounds even better than 1600 for vlue chips version... thank you.
You're in LUCK!

http://www.performancedieselwarehouse.com/1084951.html
Old 03-16-2007, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by P.J
Thanks. I see there is a standard output vp44 for a 98.5-02 24 valve and there is a HO VP44 for the same price for 2000-2002 models... how do I know which one I would need... one is rated at 235 HP and the other at 245 HP...? thanks.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:20 AM

Thanks. I see there is a standard output vp44 for a 98.5-02 24 valve and there is a HO VP44 for the same price for 2000-2002 models... how do I know which one I would need... one is rated at 235 HP and the other at 245 HP...? thanks.
You would need the 235 HP version. The 245 HO version is for the high output 245 HP engines, all automatics had the 235 HP engine. Interestingly the 235 version engine is better for HP upgrades than the 245 HO motor.

Doug
Old 03-16-2007, 08:26 AM

You would need the 235 HP version. The 245 HO version is for the high output 245 HP engines, all automatics had the 235 HP engine. Interestingly the 235 version engine is better for HP upgrades than the 245 HO motor.

Doug
That's wh ysome of us have a SHO!!
Old 03-16-2007, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by bnold
That's wh ysome of us have a SHO!!
Have you had the opportunity to dyno before and after the HO/SO pump swap? I know the pumps can be interchanged but to get the increase in high end HP we have wondered if the ECM needed to be swapped as well......
Old 03-16-2007, 08:56 AM

Doug
Thanks... I assume you are involved in this company in some way...
couple questions:
How does the core charge work? DO I buy it and poay the core, then after replacing the pump, send them back the old pump and get refunded the core?

also, I am not concerned about a few hundred bucks this far in with this problem... why is this the route you suggest to take instead of paying 500 more for a pump that is supposed to be better than the OEM replacement.

I would like more comments on the Blue Chip VP44 if anyone knows anythign about it? Thanks!
Old 03-16-2007, 09:03 AM
P.J
Banned

... why is this the route you suggest to take instead of paying 500 more for a pump that is supposed to be better than the OEM replacement.
I'm not affiliated with this or any vendor, but I would like to comment on this one.

My question would be, How MUCH "better" is this Hot Rod version? Some dyno numbers, how does it respond to other mod's, etc.

I'm thinking you'll find that the $ per HP, is less when compared to say, a tuner or performance box you can add on (and TAKE OFF for whatever reason) later.

Just some random thoughts.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by P.J
I'm not affiliated with this or any vendor, but I would like to comment on this one.

My question would be, How MUCH "better" is this Hot Rod version? Some dyno numbers, how does it respond to other mod's, etc.

I'm thinking you'll find that the $ per HP, is less when compared to say, a tuner or performance box you can add on (and TAKE OFF for whatever reason) later.

Just some random thoughts.
good point... so staying with the oem or cheaper IP is probably smarter in the long run?

Also, I was lookoing at the steps in replacing the VP44 and is shows that when it is off, it says that now would be a good time to change the CMP or camshaft position sensor??? shouldi change that while I am down there if go by "if it aint broke - dont fix it"

Thanks all.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:11 AM
P.J
Banned

good point... so staying with the oem or cheaper IP is probably smarter in the long run?
Oh, Lord, don't listen to ME.

I was giving you a pointer on what to ask Doug! I'm just thinking out loud, if I were to buy a performance box or programmer that would provide more HP and have some value after I was done with it or selling the truck, that would be a good thing, right?
You go telling people, "Yeah, it's got the HRVP" If they even know what it is, there response is going to be something like "Uh, yeah, that's the high pressure injection pump, it NEEDS to even run right, huh"?
In other words, may or may not be a selling point at all.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:26 AM

eichhoma,

Give me a call and I can explain differences in pumps, parts, warranty, etc. The key to your question above is "supposed to be better than than the OEM replacement", difference is the pumps are all built using the same parts. Nobody has anything that everyone else doesn't use.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:26 AM

ok... gotcha.. thanks.

Quick Reply: losing the VP44...