24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Lo ngest running VP44???

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 08:01 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by in2gpn
I just read somewhere that only the earlyer pumps failed?? Is there anyway I can tell if mine is the earlyer or the later of the two pumps?? ( ie..vin # ) Its a 2001 manufacter date 05 - 01
Nah, they're all junk. Just some junkier than others. I think the ones before the 2000 year were worse. Mine only made it to 68K, it had an excuse though, the LP was toast.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
my 98 1/2 made it to 70K (but was already toast at 68K or sooner, and....same excuse. Lift pump was toast also.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Puke
I've never heard anyone say the earlier pumps failed more often that later......Other than the fact that they have more miles on them because they were made sooner.
That would also mean bosch changed something somewhere along the way.

Maybe someone else will chime in who knows more.

Last one I bought had 27 updates from my early 98 stock one, hence 027 pump. M any early pumps died within seconds of a wire tap
Old 12-29-2005, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read this on Pirate 4x4 pretty informative info....

"Often people have said that increased pressure from add-on devices cause the failure. This statement only indicates their lack of knowledge, because, unlike most pumps, the VP44 pump does not create more fuel delivery by increasing pressure. The VP44 creates more fuel delivery by holding the fuel bypass solenoid closed longer. Fuel delivery pressure is controlled by the “pop off pressure “ of the injector.

The reason any aftermarket device that hooks up to the solenoid wire is blamed for the failure is that the failure 99 times out of 100 (honest numbers here) the pump fails within 20 minutes of running with power enhancement. The reason this happens is because the fuel solenoid is held closed longer, therefore using more length of the slot in the rotor. The slot in the rotor overlaps a hole in the distributor to allow for different timing and amounts of fuel to be delivered to the injector and when the solenoid holds the bypass solenoid closed longer, then the high “pop off” pressure is still there when the middle of the slot overlaps the hole. The middle of the slot is the weakest area and therefore deflects, interferes and seizes. Pump failure with fuel enhancement devices is not CAUSED by the enhancement device, but PRECIPITATED by the device. WE think this is a “glass half full” scenario rather than a “glass half empty” one, because the potential, eventual failure can be determined within controllable parameters, namely on the test run at higher power, close to home or the local dealer. The other side of the coin is, honestly, if your truck is still running 20 minutes after the installation you have a 90% chance your pump will last a reasonable length of time. Adding a power enhancement device that hooks to the solenoid wire can give you peace of mind that you can depend on the pump. "

I just bought a VP44 from these guys. Ask for Chip. He was very patient and helped diagnose things over the phone.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:41 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Mine made it to 84,000 miles.
~60,000 running a Edge Comp in EZ mode. (no wire)
The last 10,000 running with the wire atteched with a BlueChip Pump cover.

At no time in it's life did it ever see less than 5 psi of fuel pressure while running.
Mechanical Fuel Pressure gauge was installed at 1,000 miles.
Lubricity additives, Powerservice/Howes/Lucas/Stanadyne PF at 95+% of the fillups.
(1st used to last used, in order)
Old 12-29-2005, 06:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Shovelhead

At no time in it's life did it ever see less than 5 psi of fuel pressure while running.
Lubricity additives, Powerservice/Howes/Lucas/Stanadyne PF at 95+% of the fillups.
Tapping the wire must be a bad thing for stock VP's?

NEVERtappingwirehere!
Old 12-29-2005, 09:29 AM

my 01 has just over 100k and fuel presure is always above 15psi with the help of a holleyblue,ive had the comp tapped since 90k with no problems,my last 99 dually had over 260k with the original vp and lift pump,and it was driven hard by the original owner for more than half its life,as far as i know its still on the original pumps.mite be just me but i credit all my pumps lifes to extra sulpher by adding 2 cycle oil in every fill up.also i believe our diesel here in canada is of a better quailty,there are way less vp failures in canada.i buy my diesel from a large distributor that fills its tanks very often and its always been clean,p-50 is the best diesel you can buy.its used in heavy equipment and loggers swear by it,i also use a additive{cant remeber the name}
Old 12-29-2005, 09:53 AM

163K on stock VP.. 2nd lift pump... 130K Tapped Comp... almost 70K with injectors... Fuel pressure gauge installed since the truck was new...
Old 12-29-2005, 10:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JARHEAD
What is this about putting in the 2 cycle oil??? Never heard of that one. Have heard about tranny fluid though.
Some people put a small amount of ashless 2 cycle oil in their diesel fuel to help with lubricity. I did on my 99 for 70,000 miles before selling the truck. I never had any vp44 issues and the truck was modified with the edge comp and other goodies. Now the lift pump was changed 4 times and I added a pusher pump also.

Never add transmission fluid to the electronic controled fuel pumps. The transmission fluid has friction modifiers in it that can destroy the close tolerance parts of the vp44.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:01 AM

mine is still running strong and its the original one..... Im just hoping that when i convert my truck over to SVO that the VP will like me.........i plan on running the standard SVO system but right before it gets to the injection pump before it enters the solanoid that im going to run it through a oil cooler to chill it a bit before it enters the injection pump to help with the heat issues on these VP.... these is a guy in Ohio who is running this setup but he runs a small fan on the oil cooler and the truck has been happy for 77K miles so far
Old 12-29-2005, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead

Please, do tell us what happened at 84,000 miles. Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:41 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by AggiePhil
Please, do tell us what happened at 84,000 miles. Inquiring minds want to know.
Post #12

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=87196
Old 12-29-2005, 12:38 PM

148,000 miles, 15,000 with wire tapped, injectors, and relocated pump. Gonna make it to 200,000 miles .
Old 12-29-2005, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by duallydave
my 01 has just over 100k and fuel presure is always above 15psi with the help of a holleyblue,ive had the comp tapped since 90k with no problems,my last 99 dually had over 260k with the original vp and lift pump,and it was driven hard by the original owner for more than half its life,as far as i know its still on the original pumps.mite be just me but i credit all my pumps lifes to extra sulpher by adding 2 cycle oil in every fill up.also i believe our diesel here in canada is of a better quailty,there are way less vp failures in canada.i buy my diesel from a large distributor that fills its tanks very often and its always been clean,p-50 is the best diesel you can buy.its used in heavy equipment and loggers swear by it,i also use a additive{cant remeber the name}
How much 2 cyl oil do you add? I'm in Ca and our fuel is already crap because of all the tree huggers and enviornmentalist.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:04 PM

Talking

i add half a litre{quart}per fill up,which is about 100-1 mix.sometimes a bit more than half.truckers swear by it.with the low sulpher stuff out there any bit of of lube helps.my dad put in 1full quart per tank on his 1st gen and he sold it running great with over 300k,its still running good as far as i know.

Quick Reply: Lo ngest running VP44???