24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

It's official!!!!!!!NO MORE LP'S

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by rweis
Volume is important, but so is psi AT the same time.

A couple of us over on TDR are gathering data on the VP operating temp and cooling. I had a stock lp and 140*+ VP temps (DC just replaced my VP 0216 codes generated by excessive heat). Went to a RASP (or whatever other flavor you want, FASS etc) that does 15psi (VP bypass cracked open for flow) and the VP operating temps dropped 20* - 30*.

There is something to be said for volume BUT ALSO psi AT the same time.

Someone here should measure the VP temps (fuel temp in, electronics bay, body, return flow, mileage, OAT, tank level, unloaded / loaded and what #, flat / mtns) , get the in tank pump, measure the VP temps again.

GREAT if the in tank feeds the VP properly!, but low psi is a VP killer for sure.

Bob Weis
So I'm getting the intank pump and was looking at flow meters. Anyone got a good idea on how to do this CHEAPLY. while it is running/driving down the road? I'll use my truck as a guinnea(sp?) pig. I wanted to do temps also, but gotta fix my low FP first.

Originally posted by signature600
Why can't you use the in-tank LP to feed the stock Carter?? Would that help anything at all?

Chris
That is my overall intention. I was gonna run the intank as is being how close to stock I am, and plan on getting another carter, mounted by the tank with a regulator on the inlet side, so as to not overpressure the inlet of the carter pump. Make sense?? IT does in my mind!
Old 08-09-2005, 12:51 AM

How are they doing the electrics for the in tank system.
Harness running all the way back up to the fuse box maybe
if this is the case, can you still run both pumps
Have a friend thats a service writer for the local dealership
and he told me , that they have changed a half dozen of the
third generation pumps also, so far I can't see the benefit
especially after reading the post on TDR that states 8 PSI
idle and 0 at WOT
Anyone know about the wiring of the in tank pump......
Old 08-09-2005, 02:55 AM

I scanned the instructions, but not sure on how to host them here. Real quick it has a overlay harness with a relay. The signal wires for the relay go to the old LP harness. One wire straight to the battery, and the other to the intank pump. IIRC. If you were to run 2 pumps I dont see a problem now that a relay should be able to run two pumps, or a bit overkill is have the conversion realy power 2 separate realys. one relay for each pump.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:37 PM

am just gun shy of the low pressures after the
conversion
157000 miles and 3 injection pumps sucks
no matter how you stack it
Old 08-09-2005, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm wondering about the cheap plastic looking lines in the in-tank replacement.

No wonder they're seeing low pressure from it, they don't want those cheesy "kiddy straw" looking lines to burst.

Looks a bit under-engineered for my tastes.

phox
Old 08-10-2005, 12:30 AM

I guess I might look into BOMBing the LP conversion IYea kinda thought that too. This pump will prolly make a better feeder pump for one that is mounted on the frame. however I cant reallt say anything till its in and running
Old 08-10-2005, 11:19 AM

Can't be that bad of a system. They are using them in the 3g's and I have not seen one problem with one in our dealership. Fact is the 3g's are running the same PSI out of the tank as this conversion is running. If you have the volume to the vp you will not and cannot starve it. The fuel does not need to be pressurized until it goes through the vp anyway. My diesel tech gave this bit of explaination. If it gets to pressurized from the tank you risk putting air into the fuel and thats bad, but if the volume is greater then the exxess gets bled back to the tank and all you are pumping if fuel.

TRAVIST
Old 08-10-2005, 11:24 AM

Man does that Fuel pump look like the one in the Avdvance Auto Parts sale flyer page 2:
Old 08-10-2005, 03:02 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by gerry
Not True... My Freightliner FL60 has the same lift pump system.. AND YES it keeps going out...
DC is in with Freight and shake alot of the same money saving corners are cut by both companies
Old 08-10-2005, 09:25 PM
Muted User

Originally posted by Geico266
Confirms what I have said all along, these pumps were meant to push, not suck fuel, and the vibration from the motor kills them.

What really sucks is having to learn the hard way about LP's and how to "fix" them because I used my truck more than the next guy, but now I'm out of warranty. Seems to be unfair to me, but thats life. I'll put in a FASS II before I give DC $$$.
That and its an Electric motor next to a very large heat source. Electricity doesnt do so well when its next to high heat for a long time. Too much resistance.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:30 PM
Banned

I've got 2 problems, my LP seems to working OK (is that problem?), and the other problem is, my truck service life started in October 1999. That means its about 5.75 service years old.

Any chance they'd let me slide on by and get the in tank conversion? If not, I'll fass 2 it. If its the same money either way, I think I would trust the fass more, especially from the initial things I'm reading about the in tank.

What are the chances of me getting it done for free? I just called the local Dodge dealer. A lady (take it for what is worth) said it was 7 years and 100,000 miles. But that doesn't sound right to me. What do you guys think?

- JyRO
Old 08-11-2005, 01:08 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by TRAVIST
Can't be that bad of a system. They are using them in the 3g's and I have not seen one problem with one in our dealership. Fact is the 3g's are running the same PSI out of the tank as this conversion is running. If you have the volume to the vp you will not and cannot starve it. The fuel does not need to be pressurized until it goes through the vp anyway. My diesel tech gave this bit of explaination. If it gets to pressurized from the tank you risk putting air into the fuel and thats bad, but if the volume is greater then the exxess gets bled back to the tank and all you are pumping if fuel.

TRAVIST
For our purposes of rating the LP performance, flow and volume are the same measurement. We are referring to the quantity of fuel being moved in a given amount of time. Pressure is just the measured resistance to flow. So, I will say it again : If the fuel line size remains constant, ie, the new in tank pump uses 5/16" line to the VP, then if the pressure at the VP inlet has dropped, so too, has the flow. The ONLY way to flow more fuel at a lower pressure is to use larger fuel line. In this case, LP fuel pressure is a relative measurement to gauge LP performance (ie, flow/volume). Yes, you are right; in some cases, excessive fuel pressure can cause airation of the fuel, but we are nowhere near that point. Remember, we want to feed the VP more fuel than it actually needs to send to the injectors in ALL operating conditions because some fuel is sent through the entire VP and returned to the tank. When VP inlet pressure drops below 5 psi, this is an indication that there is no longer enough fuel flowing through the bypass part of the pump that is responsible for properly cooling and lubricating the VP. If this new in-tank pump conversion really is only pumping out 8 psi at idle, this is marginal at best, and virtually unusable on a truck with fueling over and above stock.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:11 PM

I put the conversion on an 01 today along with a VP. Road tested it and was easily able to drop the 8 psi down to 1-2 psi at WOT.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by ddestruel
DC is in with Freight and shake alot of the same money saving corners are cut by both companies

....so how do you explain the Ford F 650 with the Cummins using the same lift pump?

Oh yeah!! Ford OWNS Cummins!!

Can't believe I finally got to use that!

....there are also quite a few motorhomes which are not DC affiliated that use the same fuel system.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:10 AM
Banned

If this new in-tank pump conversion really is only pumping out 8 psi at idle, this is marginal at best, and virtually unusable on a truck with fueling over and above stock.
--- CTD NUT

I put the conversion on an 01 today along with a VP. Road tested it and was easily able to drop the 8 psi down to 1-2 psi at WOT.
--- J BODY

Personally, I think these are another couple good reasons to go with the FASS system.

Quick Reply: It's official!!!!!!!NO MORE LP'S