24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Intermitant lack of power

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 08:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Intermitant lack of power

Hello all
My father in law has a '01 CTD 6spd that recently started loosing power under certain conditions. He stated that when crusing along loaded ( 7500lbs ) in high gear and has to let off the fuel momentarily, that when he steps on it again the engine make a gasp or wease sound and will not accelerate unless he down shifts. He says this problem did not occour until the last few months and seems to be getting worse. It does not do it as much unloaded but has at times.
Any one experiene this same issue or have any suggestions
Thanks
Bill
Old 07-05-2004, 08:51 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it setting any codes? Check Engine light?
Old 07-05-2004, 11:34 AM

No, there are no other signs of trouble
Old 07-05-2004, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Might want to try the APPS reset. Would do nothing but help the situation.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...n&onlynewfaq=1
Old 07-05-2004, 04:11 PM

We'll give it a try and post the results. Thanks
Bill
Old 07-06-2004, 11:22 AM

How long since the Fuel Filter has been replaced ?
Old 07-06-2004, 05:48 PM

Back in May. No signs of dirt/water
Old 07-06-2004, 05:54 PM

I fought these same issues. In my case the actual fpcu on the vp44 was failing due to heat or vibration. your outcome will probably be a new vp44, because the intermittent throtle loss will start to occur more often.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My feeling is the same as CDRAM. Sounds like the injection pump is giving it up.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:27 PM

Well we tried the APPS reset and there seems to be no differance. Todate there have been no codes set ( No check engine light ) but I had him (father in law ) read all related posts and we agree that sounds like a pump issue. he is making an appointment to let the dealer test and hopefuly replace it (pump)
Thanks for the suggestions and advice. Another job well done
Bill
Old 07-10-2004, 02:38 AM

Check the hoses goning from the trubo to the intercooler and from the intercooler to the air intake on the left side of the engine. My have a leak or hose come halfway off and your truck is losing boost. This will also cuase power loss. Thats what happened to mine.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:34 PM

Lightbulb loss of power under some conditions

I had the same problem...I was told it was probably my fuel filter..NOT!...then Cummins changed the lift pump, claiming it was bad...NOT!
The final result and conclusion we came to is a bad throttle positioning sensor....

Hope this might help....
Old 07-11-2004, 08:14 PM

Ya know.. mine did that today also.. twice.. no lights on.. oil pressure still up.. water temp around 190.. empty, no trailer no load... Just no throttle response.. first time was after a cruise through the little town of Mayer, Az... @ 25 mph idlin basically... got back on the highway and got up to speed and let off the throttle to coast in gear down hill as the speed limit signs dropped to 45... went to get back up to 65.. no throttle.. truck was runnin but no throttle.. after kinda goin.. WTH.. played wth the throttle and wala.. back to POWER... continued towards home... Second time was again in a coast mode on the freeway.. Long downhill, let off the throttle to not go too fast and when I went to pick it up again... no throttle... truck again was runnin... but couldn't control engine speed.. down shifted to 4th and kinda limped along the freeway for a couple of miles to get to an exit... after a bit it kinda coughed and wala... again throttle response.. hauled *** home and got on here to see if I could find a suggestion.. was a 190 mile trip today.. no problems for the first 100.. shut the truck off fer 2 hours.. drove fer 20 minutes and it did it the first time.. stopped to get somethin to eat...drove fer 10 minutes when it did it the second time.. it is time to have the fuel filter changed.. but the way it came back on it seemed like something eletrical...
Thx... Jeff

++++ Update ++++ 07.12.04 ++++
changed the filter and pulled the codes today and P2016 was the only one that came up... Bummer... But I look @ it this way.. It is a good truck, bought it used and it ain't costin me an arm and a leg fer a payment.. Wish me luck boys...
Old 07-18-2004, 09:38 AM

Ok all
After reading all your responces and previous posts. You nailed it, it is the fuel pump. Also found a rear main leak but the pump is on its way out. A new one is on order and the Dealer will install Monday (warantee)
My Father in Law thanks you, he needs his truck for his business and you prevented him from an potential emergency reair.
Also,I thank you

Bill
Old 07-18-2004, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Outlaw_Frog
Ya know.. mine did that today also.. twice.. no lights on.. oil pressure still up.. water temp around 190.. empty, no trailer no load... Just no throttle response.. first time was after a cruise through the little town of Mayer, Az... @ 25 mph idlin basically... got back on the highway and got up to speed and let off the throttle to coast in gear down hill as the speed limit signs dropped to 45... went to get back up to 65.. no throttle.. truck was runnin but no throttle.. after kinda goin.. WTH.. played wth the throttle and wala.. back to POWER... continued towards home... Second time was again in a coast mode on the freeway.. Long downhill, let off the throttle to not go too fast and when I went to pick it up again... no throttle... truck again was runnin... but couldn't control engine speed.. down shifted to 4th and kinda limped along the freeway for a couple of miles to get to an exit... after a bit it kinda coughed and wala... again throttle response.. hauled *** home and got on here to see if I could find a suggestion.. was a 190 mile trip today.. no problems for the first 100.. shut the truck off fer 2 hours.. drove fer 20 minutes and it did it the first time.. stopped to get somethin to eat...drove fer 10 minutes when it did it the second time.. it is time to have the fuel filter changed.. but the way it came back on it seemed like something eletrical...
Thx... Jeff

++++ Update ++++ 07.12.04 ++++
changed the filter and pulled the codes today and P2016 was the only one that came up... Bummer... But I look @ it this way.. It is a good truck, bought it used and it ain't costin me an arm and a leg fer a payment.. Wish me luck boys...
Mine is an A/T and doing the same thing. How can I check/test the fuel pump?

Doug

Quick Reply: Intermitant lack of power