24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Info On Parts

Old 04-09-2019, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Info On Parts

I was wondering if any of you folks have used any parts for your NV4500 or any other job From USA Standard Gear? I see summit Racing, Rock Auto, sells their parts, I am going to replace my input shaft in my NV4500 its a little messed up from the pilot bearing leaving this earth. I was going to just put a sleeve on the input shaft but I have never used a speedy sleeve for a input shaft before, I have used them for harmonic balancers with great success.
I am not sure but this shaft is most likely made in china, The more I ask this question The more I think about sleeving it and using the factory shaft. I sure don't want to do this job again in my driveway on my Back and with 375000 miles on her AND I'm repairing a rotted frame now with 1/4 inch U channel steel, Not sure how long she has.
Or any advice on where to get a GOOD input shaft? I see some made in India some in China, I'm Leaning more towards sleeving it..

Thanks, any info will help.

Last edited by Truckman; 04-09-2019 at 09:47 PM. Reason: More info
Old 04-23-2019, 03:46 AM

Busted OUT

Nice Packing Job

Fragile
WELL, DONT Buy one from Rock Auto, I DID , and the gear was hanging out of the hole in the box and banging on anything it could hit on That FedEx truck, I found the package with gear face down on my concrete steps, Needless to say I Never open it and it went Back. OK, Now the next place.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:44 AM

Received 135 Likes on 121 Posts
I'd go for the speedy sleeve if possible. It fixes what went wrong and you still have the bearing preload as is.
Naturally I'd inspect the shaft, but usually you just use the sleeve and everything is fine again.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:06 AM

Cool Sleeve

The only speedy sleeve I see is not for the end of the shaft, I Think it is for where the seal rides on the input shaft, My factory shaft has wear on the end where the pilot bearing let go. So that's why I am going to have to buy one.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM View Post
I'd go for the speedy sleeve if possible. It fixes what went wrong and you still have the bearing preload as is.
Naturally I'd inspect the shaft, but usually you just use the sleeve and everything is fine again.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:02 PM

It depends- if you have access to a lathe you can turn the "pin" the bearing rides on to a smaller diameter and get a bearing with smaller ID and same OD, or turn a sleeve that you can shrink on there and get to the original OD of the pin. That's what goes for speedy sleeve for a bearing over here.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:58 AM

Thumbs up Will be new

No wont be doin that, Just need to find a reputable place to buy one, Will call the cummins dealer today to see what they offer.
Maybe I will call the local parts stores also.

Thanks for your input

It depends- if you have access to a lathe you can turn the "pin" the bearing rides on to a smaller diameter and get a bearing with smaller ID and same OD, or turn a sleeve that you can shrink on there and get to the original OD of the pin. That's what goes for speedy sleeve for a bearing over here.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:31 AM

Cummins dealer does not deal trans parts usually.

If you install a new shaft you will need to check the clearances and preloads, meaning you will need to re-shim the trans.
Do you have the manual for the trans, the tools and the shims?
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 05:58 AM

Yes

Yes I have everything Needed, Except a input shaft.

Cummins dealer does not deal trans parts usually.

If you install a new shaft you will need to check the clearances and preloads, meaning you will need to re-shim the trans.
Do you have the manual for the trans, the tools and the shims?