24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

I give up, recommendations please

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I give up, recommendations please

I can't figure out my stock lift pump fluctuation problem so after much crying and whining, I have decided to upgrage.

Keep in mind I am on a semi-tight budget.

I searched and saw so many choices, from Airdog to HolleyBlue to Raptor to FASS and on and on.

Could a few of you post a middle of the road, but acceptable fuel pump choices? I'm not a racer, more of a camper/bass boat tower...
I already have a Vulcan big line/relocation kit installed.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the previous tantrums...

Doug
Old 06-29-2011, 03:49 PM

i have had a airdog 100 for 3 yrs no complaint. 2 micron filter and it also takes air out of the fuel which has to be good for the vp-44.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:15 PM

Airdog = $$$

Hey I just saw this FASS Direct replacement pump. Has anyone had any experience with it?

Any reason it shouldnt fit on the frame with my Vulcan bigline/relocation set-up?
4 year warrantee?? that sounds good! 33% More flow than the Carter stocker?

It sounds too good to be true!

Anyone have any insight about these?

thanks
Old 06-29-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by sluggo42
Hey I just saw this FASS Direct replacement pump. Has anyone had any experience with it?

Any reason it shouldnt fit on the frame with my Vulcan bigline/relocation set-up?
4 year warrantee?? that sounds good! 33% More flow than the Carter stocker?

It sounds too good to be true!

Anyone have any insight about these?

thanks

airdog = a little more $$ and lifetime warranty and probally save your vp-44 and maybe a slight mpg increase due to the air removal. not to mention the 2 micron filter. the stocker is at least 10 micron. it will probally more then pay for itself in the long run. good luck
Old 06-29-2011, 07:49 PM

I have the FASS replacement and am very happy with it. Daily driver and very often tower of a 5th wheel. It keeps a constant 16psi on the road and 23 psi at idle. Way more reasonable pricing and bolted right in to my OEM location.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:56 PM

I'm not doggin Airdog bro...

Im sure it's a way killer unit, I just can't afford it!

I can barely afford the FASS DR unit, if that is the way I go. I'm just wondering if there are other options that are good units, but less costly than the real good systems... That can work with my big line kit...
Old 07-01-2011, 07:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Universal Raptor.
http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/pr...?pf_id=RP-100U
Old 07-01-2011, 08:40 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by sluggo42
I can't figure out my stock lift pump fluctuation problem so after much crying and whining, I have decided to upgrage.

Keep in mind I am on a semi-tight budget.

I searched and saw so many choices, from Airdog to HolleyBlue to Raptor to FASS and on and on.

Could a few of you post a middle of the road, but acceptable fuel pump choices? I'm not a racer, more of a camper/bass boat tower...
I already have a Vulcan big line/relocation kit installed.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the previous tantrums...

Doug
if your truck runs fine and pressure never drops below 5psi, don't do any thing .......my pressure has always been high,12psi and low 5psi, it always fluctuates..............some people make too big of an issue out of fuel pressure,as long as you have pressure at full throttle your vp44 is happy just relocate it to the frame
Old 07-01-2011, 04:45 PM

I've been running FASS DDRP for past 3 years and never had any problems with it.....
Old 07-01-2011, 05:52 PM

wouldn't ya know,

As soon as I give up my pressure has stabilized!!

The new Carter is giving me a pretty steady 14-16, and down to 12 at WOT.

BUT, this was such a headache/scare, I believe that going with with a Raptor / FASS DDRP / or I forgot the 3rd choice but it's a replacement model too.

Will any of the "replacement" pumps have any problem keeping up with the Edge Juice on 5 ?

I don't have any injectors and don't plan on getting any.

This has been a fun learning process for sure...

edit, now ten minutes later I go to the store and she drops down to 8-10 for a minute, then climbs back up to 14-16..????? I swear!
I guess I'll blow back the line again into the tank for now, but it's sounding like I need to drop the tank and clean the innards and maybe get a Vulcan draw straw for installation while the tank is down...

Guess I'd better start using some fuel...

Last edited by sluggo42; 07-01-2011 at 07:13 PM. Reason: changes
Old 07-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Banned

Try some Startron before dropping the tank. My diesel mercedes had crap (fungus/algi - let's not open that can, search if you'd like) growing and the Startron cleared it up. Also, make sure your fuel filter is clean.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:25 PM

I bought a DDRP 6 months or so ago, put it on the frame rail with Geno's relocation kit and have never dropped below 22psi even with the trailer in tow (stock truck). This one puts out 32psi at idle, so it has to shut down during cranking (ECM will do it automatically unless your circuits have been messed with like mine), but then it runs like a freight train. They're not supposed to put out that much pressure, and FASS can't explain it, but I'd rather have too much than not enough - VP44's are expensive! Good luck whichever route you decide to go.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:16 AM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
The nice thing about these forums is that you can read everyone's opinions who bother to post a response and then do whatever you want..... In saying that, even though some people have scathed VP failure by running dangerously low fuel pressures, there is very valid reasons why you need to have proper fuel pressure.

As for fuel pumps which wont break the bank..... I feel the best pump for the price that does the right job is the Raptor 100 with the big line kit. About $400 installed. Last time I checked, the OEM lift pump is around $200 and the direct replacement pumps are about $300 or so and neither come with anything but the pump.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:34 AM

Raptor 100 and others

I see there is a raptor FRRP (factory replacement) out now too, and I think I saw a pressure regulator on it. I think is advertises 100 GPH. I wonder if it's the same....?

What I'm NOT seeing is walbro anywhere. Have the walbro's been deemed not as good anymore?

I was thinking maybe a Walbro, but I noticed most search post are from 2006-2009 era, and so I'm wondering if they were found to not be the deal.

Glacier used to sell a kit with the walbro, but I don't see it on their website anymore.

Also, Cummins has a new and improved stock pump (in theory), I wonder if it's still junk?

So confusing...
Old 07-02-2011, 07:35 PM

When I bought my truck it had just had the new cummins improved stock pump put on it with a new VP. It kept 6psi for 3 or 4 months and then started dropping to 3psi. I put on the FASS pump, no air seperator and love it. About 200 bucks.

Quick Reply: I give up, recommendations please