24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How To Properly Start Truck After Fuel Filter Change Etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To Properly Start Truck After Fuel Filter Change Etc.

i was just wondering the proper way to start one's truck after replacing the fuel filter, or perhaps installing a FP guage. i've done both and both times the truck did not fire up right away.

for my fuel filter, it did fire up but then died, so i was told by a buddy of mine that i need to crack a couple of the injectors and bump the starter about 6 times and then just crank it.

for the fuel pressure guage, i tapped into the bottom of my fuel filter canister and when i was all done, the truck did not wanna start, but this time, i just bumped the starter, waited for the pump to run, repeat several times and just crank it, then she finally fired, but i got a lot of white smoke for quite a while.

so what is the proper procedure for restarting the truck when something like this happens, or when one runs out of fuel for example?

just curious and bored so i decided to start an online conversation
Old 06-16-2006, 08:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Do A Search

Originally Posted by Ridiculous
i was just wondering the proper way to start one's truck after replacing the fuel filter, or perhaps installing a FP guage. i've done both and both times the truck did not fire up right away.

for my fuel filter, it did fire up but then died, so i was told by a buddy of mine that i need to crack a couple of the injectors and bump the starter about 6 times and then just crank it.

for the fuel pressure guage, i tapped into the bottom of my fuel filter canister and when i was all done, the truck did not wanna start, but this time, i just bumped the starter, waited for the pump to run, repeat several times and just crank it, then she finally fired, but i got a lot of white smoke for quite a while.

so what is the proper procedure for restarting the truck when something like this happens, or when one runs out of fuel for example?

just curious and bored so i decided to start an online conversation

If you do a search on this site you would find this ,,

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=101881

Instead of us typing it again ,, hahahahah

They talk of 1998.5 - 2001 I think..

Hope it helps.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

After draining and changing the filter & gasket, I fill mine 3/4 full of clean fuel, screw on the top w/new filter then bump the starter 4 times to prime the system then start the engine. A little fuel might leak out while screwing the top on but the fuel filter housing is now full of fuel...I haven't had to crack open an injector line yet.
That tube standing in the middle is the fuel filter outlet tube and the fuel level needs to be higher than the hole in that tube or you'll be trying to push air through the injector pump before it'll start.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Every time I do it the same thing happens.
1) change the fuel filter.
2) leave a plug in the top of the filter houseing loose and bump the starter.
3) diesel fills it up and squirts out the side so you "know" it;'s full of diesel. so you tighten the plug back in.
4) now try to start it and it fails.
5) loosen an injector (in my case the front one cause I'm lazy and it's closest
6) crank the starter again
7) tghis time after some cranking it starts with a little missing at first, but then I tighten the injuector back up and all is back to normal, waiting for another few months to do it all over again.

The first time it was kind of alarming, but from then on, it was expected and just a few minutes process. A farm boy (they had a lot of diesel tractors on their farms) who worked for me showed me this the first time around (after I got real scared I was going to need a tow), but after that I did it myself.

OK<
Just my two cents worth.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:20 PM

I dont know if 98's do this but I will change the filter, bump the starter so it fills the fuel bowl, and then start the truck.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:18 PM

thanks guys, i was doing it right the whole time, just curious