24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How many LP can I go through? ....3rd lift pump in 10months

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry How many LP can I go through? ....3rd lift pump in 10months

Last weekend I installed my console I built and reinstalled the gauges and when I went for a drive on the way back psi dropped to 4-5 and jumped back to 15psi, and since I've seen this twice before I waited it out. Now this morning at idle it was 7-8 so there goes another LP I just got this last LP changed last month along with the VP44, now I didn't even hook up my Edge yet to make sure everything is ok. Now its hard to believe that I got bad LPs but can this be true?? I'm also woundering if the LP was even changed by the dealer, so I'm gonna mark this one just to make sure. Only good thing I guess is that theres no codes.
I do 10K oil changes with fuel filter everyother, no towing and no engine mods. So back to the dealer I go. BTW its still under warrenty but in 40K its gone and if this keeps happening I'm gonna have to park it.
I'm also gonna contact DC & Cummins about this BS and see what they have to say, I didn't buy a new $50G truck to have these problems.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:31 AM
Chapter President

I don't think anyone can predict how long the POS's will last. My origional went over 100k and the second one about 40k. I hope my new FASS II wil last longer.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm on my 4th in 4 years. So far this holley has been doing great. Been on there for a year and still holding 11-12 at WOT.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:36 AM

the LP and VP's are complete junk. very expensive junk.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:39 PM

I disagree that they are junk....we just hear about it anytime one goes..........but 3 LP's on an 02 is very unusual! Might make sure your getting the newer Lift Pump. Cummins part # is 399105.

Changing Oil Filter every other oil change...@ 20,000 miles...also unusual. How come?

RJ
Old 07-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by rjohnson
I disagree that they are junk....we just hear about it anytime one goes..........but 3 LP's on an 02 is very unusual! Might make sure your getting the newer Lift Pump. Cummins part # is 399105.

Changing Oil Filter every other oil change...@ 20,000 miles...also unusual. How come?

RJ
He said he changes his oil every 10,000 km (not miles - he is a Canuck) and the fuel filter is changed at every other oil change.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:49 PM

My 02 had the LP and VP changed a few months back and within 6 weeks the LP started acting up. Due to what I've read here I didn't want to deal with this issue again so I installed the FASS II. I hope that I've put this LP/VP issue to bed.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by CTD NUT
Km...not miles - he is a Canuck).
Thanks NUT...I missed that. Is the filter change every other oil change common? Have not heard of it before.

RJ
Old 07-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I change my FUEL filter at every other oil change also......but the oil filter gets changed at every oil change. I always thought this was common practice......RJ, you don't change your fuel filter every 12,000 miles?

BTW, for the life of me, I can't understand why the LP on my truck has lasted so long.....it is going on 3 years....the mounting bracket and pump body are VERY rusty because of the amount of time and mileage on it. I have a new Carter factory replacement waiting for when this one goes South but my new Carter actually has a thick layer of dust on it because it has been sitting around so long?!?!
Old 07-05-2005, 04:49 PM

Chrysler has just come out with a retro fit kit to move the lift pump from the block down to an in-tank pump. They do away with the block mounted lift pump all together and put in a new fuel module type pump in the tank. The cost is almost the same as a new lift pump but now you have a pump that is actually pushing like it is designed to do and not pulling. If your interested talk to your local dealer or PM me and I'll get you the part numbers needed for the conversion.

TRAVIST
Old 07-05-2005, 04:58 PM

The IP on the '01's and '02's aren't as bad as prior years - changes were made to the electronics the front diaphragm and housing. They have a better chance of lasting 150,000+. The LP's are crap. I've had three of them fail in three years, bad check *****, all. For $100, I plumbed a Holly Red by the fuel tank, inline with the LP, and my dealer has agreed to look the other way. No problems in 25,000 miles.

Do something. Don't just wait around for the stock LP to fail again and again.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by TRAVIST
Chrysler has just come out with a retro fit kit to move the lift pump from the block down to an in-tank pump. They do away with the block mounted lift pump all together and put in a new fuel module type pump in the tank.
Pretty sure that is only for the 3rd gens.

2003 and 2004 had the lift pump on the engine, just like the 2nd gens,
2005 they put it in the tank, the retrofit is for the 3rd gens prior to 2005.

phox
Old 07-05-2005, 05:29 PM

Originally it was just for the 3rd gen trucks. They now have a kit that will retro all 24v trucks with the intake pump set up just like the 3rd gens. We just had one in the shop today and gave the guy the option of another lp or the upgrade to the intank set up.

TRAVIST
Old 07-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Administrator

I hereby stand corrected.

Time will tell if it helps anything I guess.

phox
Old 07-06-2005, 07:13 AM

Well I was on my way to the dealer yesterday so I can get the tech to hook up his guage and make an appointment, but ofcourse the psi stayed steady @ 15 at idle, just like when you go to the doctor that pain just goes away like it knew I was going there. So later on that nite when the dealer was closed ....ofcourse it dropped to 7 i think its just toying with me now

Originally posted by rjohnson

RJ
thanks for the part # I will make sure that this LP is the new style. a and yup I'm a cunuk everything is in KM

Originally posted by TRAVIST
Originally it was just for the 3rd gen trucks. They now have a kit that will retro all 24v trucks with the intake pump set up just like the 3rd gens. We just had one in the shop today and gave the guy the option of another lp or the upgrade to the intank set up.

TRAVIST
sounds interesting I haven't heard about this upgrade yet but I will ask. Thx

Quick Reply: How many LP can I go through? ....3rd lift pump in 10months