24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Hot!! front wheel but brakes not sticking??

Old 12-15-2006, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hot!! front wheel but brakes not sticking??

Today the front drivers side wheel got very hot and the brakes started squeaking. As soon as I got home I jacked up the truck and spun the wheel, its free wheeling. It's not the brakes sticking. I let it cool for a hour and drove it a couple of miles and it seams fine.

Could the bearing be going bad? I've got major alignment problems right now on the same side, could that be the problem?
Old 12-15-2006, 07:49 PM

HAD SIMILAR PROB ON MY FORD
needless to say bearings went bad on spindle and froze then ripped spindle off at 60 mph
thank god i sold it before it happened to me
what you explained happened a few times then the major brake
what i think happened is that the caliper stuck a few times and that is what turned the rotor red so all the grease burnt up and siezed the bearings.
a little off subject my all motor race civic wheel bearing went bad and heres what happened
keepin mind this was a 11.9 all motor 4 banger
i was runnin super hard on the highway then all the sudden it started pullin real hard to right pull over rim was smoken hot and axle nut was rainbow colored
i thought it was a axle since all the cv grease was rock hard and discolored
let it cool drove normal to my destination no prob
so i change the axle at the local part store cause i was at an event and i didnt want any probs
drove fine till i got into it again for a few then the same **** pullin real hard t the right but i drove it 3 hrs home normal speeds no heavy foot and it never heated up
finally decide to change bearings on spindle and that was the prob bearings bad cause heat stuff expand then sieze then brake........be careful
btw
sweet dog! i always wanted one of those
Old 12-15-2006, 08:03 PM

Blue Heelers!! I love them!!! We have three of them, they stay at our heels and sleep with us. That sounded a little strange.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I did notice today that the nut and the surroundings holding the hub was discolored from extreme heat. The brakes and mounts where still black and had no sign of extreme heat.

Where's the best place to buy wheel bearings?
Old 12-16-2006, 01:16 PM

well first id try to get a part number off the bearing
then id try napa and get some price/availability
then id look up a local industrial bearing supply place and have them cross reference your number of the bearing to see if they have it in stock. if they can cross reference the numb. its usually cheeper to get from industrial places cause they stock all bearings and they are usually better quality.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:46 PM

Good idea!!! I can get huge discounts through my company and avoid the middle man.