24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Help! 24valve cutting out!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! 24valve cutting out!

I am having trouble with our 1998.5 dodge 24valve. The lift pump went out a few weeks ago and likewise took the injector pump to. Well we put a new injector pump on and the Airdog 150gph lift pump system on it as well. Then to keep track of everything i installed a edge juice with the attitude moniter. We took it for a test run and the engine cuts out and makes a poppin noise and runs really rough for a second or two after u get out of the peddle. Note it only did this as soon as we turn the chip on if we push it down to stock and you use your imagination you can maybe feel it shimmy just a little bit but cant tell for sure. But as soon as you start to push the edge attitude up it goes crazy. I forgot to say we are running dynomite diesel 150 horse injectors on it to with a stock turbo we got the injectors 8 months or so ago. We have had the overhead set and rechecked our fuel pressure is a steady 18lbs. It did this for a while then one day the problem was totally gone the truck run like a scalded cat it stayed like that for a day and a half then went back to how it was and is still like that today. Does anybody know what else we could check people have told me to advance the timing 2 or 3 degrees but i haven't yet. I have helped go through motors but do not no near enough about them to figure this one out. We have also changed chips to and it still acts the same.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:11 PM

Sounds like the cold weather big injector/edge timing bucking problem to me. What were the temps at when you were having this problem?Outside air temp...
Old 01-26-2008, 02:47 PM

There is also the issue with big sticks, that when you get out of it quickly after a hard run, you can air lock the injectors. You may be right on the cusp of this when it runs rough after you get out of it. Try easing out of the throttle and see if it eliminates or reduces it.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:59 PM

I haven't paid real close attention to the temp but it started in the fall with temps like seventy and sixty its in the fourtys now but it doesn't seem to make any difference on the temp but I don't no. It only does it if you get into the throttle and want to take out quick if you just ease around and drive decent it won't do it.