24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

has anyone ever seen this happen

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone ever seen this happen

About a year ago i was leaving my house to got to work and i heard a pop sound. I immediately smelled anti-freeze. TYurned around and went back home, popped the hood abd found that the fan had spun off and poked holes in the radiator. Had it towed to scheid and they said it was fan clutch. After that and new radiator it was right around a $1000. Today i was sitting at a light and heard the same pop and truck shook. thought someone rearended me. LOoked under the hood and exact same thing. the fan has spun off and ruined the radiatoer, coolant everwhere.. Now the first time it happened i wrote it off as fluke. I have never heard of this before on any vehcle. But twice on the samre truck within a year ***. Has anybody had this happen? What vcould be causing it? i know its not from being driven hard cause i baby the thing.Any ideas?
Thanks
Dan
Old 01-24-2007, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had it happen under warranty. Sheared the bolt right off. So far so good, since then.

There were earlier 2nd Gen reports of the fan blades being weak and , due to the abrupt lockup (chirp) when we shut down, blades flying off and taking out the radiator. But your fan clutch bolt failing is only other one I know of?

Don't understand your viscious clutch going a second time....so quickly??

RJ