24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Governer Sensor ... Solenoid ... or???

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Governer Sensor ... Solenoid ... or???

I'm new here so please bear with me.
My 2001 dodge is having an intermittant issue where it will accelerate find up to about 45mph and then doesn't shift into the next gear. It will continue to accelerate but the rpms just keep getting higher (no where near the danger zone). If I pull over, kill the engine and restart, there's a 90% chance it will shift fine after.

I ran the codes and it's throwing 748 and 1762, one being a governer pressure solenoid circuit problem and the other being that the governer pressor sensor input was too high or low for 3 consecutive park/neutral calibrations.

Could the problem I am having be related to those codes? and if so ... what next.

Thanks in advance ... Robin
Old 10-24-2006, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by robinlh
I'm new here so please bear with me.
My 2001 dodge is having an intermittant issue where it will accelerate find up to about 45mph and then doesn't shift into the next gear. It will continue to accelerate but the rpms just keep getting higher (no where near the danger zone). If I pull over, kill the engine and restart, there's a 90% chance it will shift fine after.

I ran the codes and it's throwing 748 and 1762, one being a governer pressure solenoid circuit problem and the other being that the governer pressor sensor input was too high or low for 3 consecutive park/neutral calibrations.

Could the problem I am having be related to those codes? and if so ... what next.

Thanks in advance ... Robin
It sounds like it is the governer pressure sensor, but I would replace both the pressure sensor and the pressure solenoid. You can measure the pressure, and see if the pressure goes up when the trans goes into reverse, but this is a known problem on the 47RE trans. If it was me though, I would give DTT a call (866 504-4002). The have always been glad to help even when it's not one of their trans.

Hope this helps...
Paul
Old 10-24-2006, 10:37 PM

Thanks Paul. One more question, where exactly is this governer pressure sensor (and solenoid) located? I have the Haynes book for my truck, but I'm not seeing anything about either.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by robinlh
Thanks Paul. One more question, where exactly is this governer pressure sensor (and solenoid) located? I have the Haynes book for my truck, but I'm not seeing anything about either.
They are attached to the governor body, inside of the trans, in front of the rear band lever, and next to the filter. The sensor is on the front side of the governor body cover, and the solenoid is in the center of the governor body cover. They are easy to replace. The transmission pan, filter, and governor body cover, are the only things that need to be removed. I prefer the ones from Dodge, instead of aftermarket ones... Once again though... Call DTT!

Paul
Old 10-25-2006, 11:04 PM

I had the same problem. rebooted the computer, codes and symptom both went away