24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Got my Power Puck today

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my Power Puck today

I think I feel a difference in throttle response, it might feel a little smoother, like I have to press on the pedal less to get it going. I haven't really got on it yet...

It might sound a little more clackity (is that a word? injector noise maybe)

Anyone else with a puck have any input on how it felt / sounded to them?
Old 05-12-2008, 06:15 PM

No experience with a puck but with my EZ (similar timing and fuel) it was night and day difference. Not huge, but my butt dyno said faster off the line at any speed/normal take off. Yes it does "rattle" more with the timing but some power service or 2 stroke oil helps quiet that down. Also with my altitude and higher temps it smokes alot more.

Now that you have the puck it's past due for some gauges. FP and egt at a minimum, boost next and a trans temp if auto.

If your like most once the bug bites it bites hard. These are fun trucks to play with.

Good luck.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by 2500Ram
No experience with a puck but with my EZ (similar timing and fuel) it was night and day difference. Not huge, but my butt dyno said faster off the line at any speed/normal take off. Yes it does "rattle" more with the timing but some power service or 2 stroke oil helps quiet that down. Also with my altitude and higher temps it smokes alot more.

Now that you have the puck it's past due for some gauges. FP and egt at a minimum, boost next and a trans temp if auto.

If your like most once the bug bites it bites hard. These are fun trucks to play with.

Good luck.
So you noticed a big change? I noticed a little. Is there any way to tell if it's working properly? If it was all plugged in and not communicating with say the data plug would it be throwing codes?

With the EGT gauge don't I have to drill and tap the exhaust manifold? I'd like to get a triple pillar set with fuel pressure, EGT and trans temp. My main concern is EGT and tapping the exhaust. Also, where do you tap into trans temp?
Old 05-12-2008, 08:26 PM

Short version to your questions is drilling and tapping the manifold is no big deal, lots of concern and some problems happen but take your time and you'll be fine, search is your friend on gauge install questions. I tapped into the hot line from the trans to the cooler, I bought a new hard line with sender port and just replaced and put in the sender. Many have cut and spliced the hard line and flared with new fittings but to me ~$80 was money well spent on a $4000 trans. I did have a B&M drain plug with sender built in that I gave Dave Goerend and he wouldn't install it, not saying it's a bad product, but he didn't like the crush sleeve so he put in a new deeper pan with drain plug and cooling fins.

Yes, I could immediately feel a difference in power with the EZ, not huge but if I take it off the truck is a slug, slow boost and a lag off the line. You might get some electrical contact spray an go over the data link and MAP connectors just to be sure.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:19 AM

With my Edge I noticed a quicker response to the throttle, in fact, 1/8” to a 1/4” of throttle is about what I use in normal driving around town or on the road with a light load; after that, the boost comes up fairly rapidly. I have the EZ and the positions are set manually – “No Smoke – Smoke – Big Smoke.” I usually operate in position 1, but will move it up if I’m hauling a heavy load.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:32 PM

i got a puck, and its ok for what it does, but i was gonna go with a edege comp, but i think im just gonna go with a smarty and get some rv275's, or a little bit bigger injector.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Southern Pride
i got a puck, and its ok for what it does, but i was gonna go with a edege comp, but i think im just gonna go with a smarty and get some rv275's, or a little bit bigger injector.
Keep your puck and get some bigger injectors
Old 05-13-2008, 06:41 PM

Oh yeah! I had to get on it today through a yellow light. Wow! Was like a different truck. I'm likin' the Puck It pulls real smooth right off idle too. I noticed going up a steep drive it just goes right up with little throttle. Before I'd have to get into it a little. Definitely an improvement.

Might have to throw on some rv275's next. Just not looking forward to the process...
Old 05-13-2008, 08:45 PM

I have a Puck and love it! I know there's more power gains with other programmers, but I don't want to rip my transmission out right now.

I gained about 1.5 mpg around town and 2-3 on the highway. If I drive 60-65 on the interstate I get 21-22 mpg.

The Puck has a boost fooler built in the programming. Install a J hook on the waste gate ($2.00) and you'll get 28-30 lbs of boost.

With the cost fuel, the Puck is an excellent economical upgrade for better mpg.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy93w350
I have a Puck and love it! I know there's more power gains with other programmers, but I don't want to rip my transmission out right now.

I gained about 1.5 mpg around town and 2-3 on the highway. If I drive 60-65 on the interstate I get 21-22 mpg.

The Puck has a boost fooler built in the programming. Install a J hook on the waste gate ($2.00) and you'll get 28-30 lbs of boost.

With the cost fuel, the Puck is an excellent economical upgrade for better mpg.
With my 4" exhaust, BHAF and a light foot I'm getting 21-22 hwy right now. That would be sweet if the puck brought it up another 2mpg.

Any danger with the j-hook on a stock motor? It's not like I would be flooring it to 3500 rpm or anything. I wonder if you can do a j-hook with a little more tension than stock? Anyone have a link to a homemade j-hook?