24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel tank capacity

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel tank capacity

I know for a fact that my 01 dually has a single 35 gal. tank. When I'm getting low in fuel, guage shows needle on "E" line, the low fuel indicator lights up. I fuel up. I pump in 26 gallons of fuel. Now, I'm guessing that I had nearly 10 gallons of fuel when my low fuel lights up? Its always been this way...this is normal? If so, why such the big area in the low fuel zone?

Thanks
Old 06-11-2006, 11:05 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Fuel tank capacity

From what I've gathered from some other postings, this isn't a bad thing. The vp44 injection system bypasses fuel back to the pump. This fuel is hot and cools down when blending w/the fuel in the tank. Heat is a known cause for failure in the vp44, among other things. The more cooler fuel to blend with the better. Also, if you use the low fuel light as a reminder your almost out and fill up, rather than running it way down, you're less likely to run it empty and have to prime it to restart. By the way, before I was enlightened by the many great forums on this site I ran mine down till the low fuel light came on and mine took 27 gallons to fill, so I had about 8 gallons remaining!
Old 06-12-2006, 09:46 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by jj3500
I know for a fact that my 01 dually has a single 35 gal. tank. When I'm getting low in fuel, guage shows needle on "E" line, the low fuel indicator lights up. I fuel up. I pump in 26 gallons of fuel. Now, I'm guessing that I had nearly 10 gallons of fuel when my low fuel lights up? Its always been this way...this is normal? If so, why such the big area in the low fuel zone?

Thanks
you would know the answer if & when you run out of fuel
i know! my fuel sender failed pulling my 5th wheel trailer across nev.... i thought i had over a 1/4 tank when the engine shut down. i had 50 gallons in my aux tank , but i don't transfer untill i have less than 1/4... after i found that i had run out of fuel, it was a simple matter of transfering fuel & bleeding a couple of injectors, at first i thought i had lost a vp 44.... so my advice is never run less than 1/4 by the way , the low fuel warning is tied to the sending unit in the tank, NOT HOW MUCH FUEL IS IS YOUR TANK!!!!!---- unless your guage is accurate

Last edited by johnh; 06-12-2006 at 09:52 AM. Reason: add info
Old 06-12-2006, 11:00 AM

I have exactly the same thing with the 64 gal Aero tank in my '02. Once, I was way into the low warning zone - just about on E, and really tightening up, but when I finally found fuel it only took 54 gallons. Personally, with my big tank, I really like having that long warniing, but I think it'd be a nuisance with the stock 35 gal tank. If you do a lot of traveling, you might look into a larger tank. I love mine.

Lar.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:29 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How do you know the capacity? I too can only fit about 25-26.5 gallons in mine. I always thought I had like a 30 gallon tank?
Old 06-12-2006, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All CTD's have 35 gal or 36 gal (Ext Cabs, I think). So says the owners manual!

10 Gal left when light come on is most common.

RJ
Old 06-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by rjohnson
All CTD's have 35 gal or 36 gal (Ext Cabs, I think). So says the owners manual!

10 Gal left when light come on is most common.

RJ
I thought it was 34 gallons for the shortbed Quad Cabs,
36 gallons for the long bed Quad Cabs.

phox
Old 06-12-2006, 03:19 PM

I've had a re-curring problem where the fuel module somehow manages to loosen over a period of time and has slipped as much as an inch out of the tank before I've noticed it leaking fuel if I over fill the tank to the point where fuel is still in the filler neck. I'm assuming that the fuel level sensing is located in the module. If so, then I would think it's giving a false reading of the actual amount of fuel remaining.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by phox_mulder
I thought it was 34 gallons for the shortbed Quad Cabs,
36 gallons for the long bed Quad Cabs.
phox
Your probably right. I trust almost anyones memory...over mine.

RJ
Old 09-10-2006, 11:55 AM

Hey, I have an 05. Where can I get a larger tank? Not a transfer tank, just a replacement for my existing one just larger. Thanks
Kevin
Old 09-10-2006, 12:06 PM

I got my 64 gal tank and had it installed at Aero Tanks in Corona, CA, but there's a bigger outfit in the Sacramento area. Aero makes a good product at a good price, but their customer treatment sucks. I was pretty antagonized when I finally left with my new tank. I've heard others say the same thing. Also, it's been over 4 years now, and in June Jay in Bullhead City found a couple of mounting bolts to be missing and the rest were loose. Now I make it a point to crawl under there from time to time and look things over. All that said, I love having that capacity, and can't imagine traveling with a stock tank.

Lar.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:07 PM

Midship Fuel tanks... I think.
http://www.transferflow.com/html/dod...fuel_tank.html

RJ
Old 09-10-2006, 09:00 PM
FD5

I read somewhere that 35 gallons is the actual capacity of the tank but once you subtract for the airspace for fuel expansion it will not hold 35 gallons. My 2002 has the bed off and the fuel fill hose is about 4" from the top of the tank thus giving it the airspace for fuel expansion. I to found out my fuel gauge is inop at 1/4 tank when I ran out as well. If I remember right it took about 31 gallons to fill from bone dry.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:11 PM

Thanks for the info. I checked the site. The tanks are made of steal. Should I be worried about that? I don`t want a rust hole or something. Does anyone make them in plastic? Transfer flow has a 56 gallon, it would be nice to not have to fill up every 3 days. Kevin.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:39 PM

I thought it was 34 and 35 gallons respectively. My fuel light comes on at 1/8 tank. I can then go at least 100 more miles without running out. I have no idea how close im getting to running out, but I'm sure I'll find out someday.

Quick Reply: Fuel tank capacity