24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

fuel boss, school us

Old 11-02-2010, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel boss, school us

fuel boss.....any reason not to run it? i think this is the pump for me, could go ddrp but this will plumb right into my current set up with 2 filters etc... and be bomber no matter if either system blows out, what you think?
Old 11-03-2010, 05:01 AM
Chapter President

I have had mine for a while now. I LOVE it. If the engine is running I have fuel. Pressure remains constant NO MATTER WHAT. I did not use the electric lift pump, I just installed at as a stand alone pump.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:28 AM

i have a call into them, i guess DTT has something thats about to hit that has a filter on it too, might go that route depending on price etc...
are u just running a stock filter assembly?
i have a stanadyne lp on the frame that has a 30 micron filter into the stock filter set up, i think keeping that will be a good idea
Old 11-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Chapter President

yes stock filter setup. I have a pre filter that I bought to put on, but when I installed my pump I was in a time crunch, so the pre is still in the box yet. I got mine from our very own DTR store. Saved a bunch over the Glacier site, and still was dropped shipped directly from Glacier. Try the home boys first.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:58 PM

yep, looks like dtr has it cheapest, now should i do this or just plumb a raptor into the standyne spot and be done...? cant make up my mind, well i have , just dont want to spend more $, i think for $140 more than the raptor the only choice is the mechanical, talked to rich today and i have to check a few things before i know what i need to hook into my already modified system, but i think it should work fine, i just hope i dont have to drop the tank for any reason, now where did my sugar momma go to pay for this, hehehehehe
any reason to have more than the stock filter really?
Old 11-04-2010, 04:59 AM
Chapter President

I went through a couple electric lift pumps in the past 4 years. I am sick of the fail rate of the electric crap. My fuel pressure stays constant between 12-15 PSI at ALL times. I was gonna do the pre filter just to eliminate the possibility of lodging anything in the mechanical pump. The pump is aeasy to mount and offers great peace of mind.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by wurkenman
I went through a couple electric lift pumps in the past 4 years. I am sick of the fail rate of the electric crap. My fuel pressure stays constant between 12-15 PSI at ALL times. I was gonna do the pre filter just to eliminate the possibility of lodging anything in the mechanical pump. The pump is aeasy to mount and offers great peace of mind.
thxs, gonna have to drop some coin and do this up right, i'm tried of messing with this stuff too, should be done for some time with this rig
Old 11-04-2010, 05:37 PM

Big thumbs up on the fuel boss. Like already mentioned, the engine needs fuel to run...if the engine is running, it supplies fuel... they go hand in hand. I've never seen less than 14 psi, and never more than 20. Plus, its uprgadeable. If you start making too much HP for it to keep up, you can get a smaller pulley to spin the pump faster, which supplies more fuel.

Wurkenman, I would like to see a pic of you prefilter setup if ya get around to installing it. Been wanting to add one to my truck eventually as well
Old 11-04-2010, 07:30 PM

dang it, i want the fuel boss, but i can get away with the raptor for a couple hundred less, Rich even agrees that it will be fine, and the raptor has a lifetime warranty now too, guess i'm gonna stick with the electric for now, should be more than enough psi for my set up and i can just plumb it right into where my stanadyne is nowand hook up the electrics and i'm done, probably take an hour to do it
Old 11-05-2010, 08:52 AM
Chapter President

The lifetime warranty is OK, but when it fails or gives you trouble, and it will eventually, you will be without a truck until the problem is resolved. That is why I went with the Fuel Boss. I do not want to have two fuel pumps on hand at all times, just in case one goes. I'm sure the Raptor is good pump. but I personally have had it with having to depend on the electric pumps. Keep us posted on the progress.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:31 AM

just gonna do the raptor and keep my current set up as a back up, i can guarantee i will regret this later and end up with a fuel boss, just need to blow more money first, hehehe, but really i think i will be fine for quite awhile, rich said these pumps have been really reliable and he has only seen a couple of failures in about 7-8 years now, at least i will have a back up if i am out in the boonies