24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel Boss?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Boss?

I am looking into buying the Fuel Boss to add to the fuel system. I am somewhat at odds now that I know it doesn't replace the electric lift pump, what do those that have this pump on their trucks say and or experiences? Until yesterday I thought it replace it stock pump, than I email Glacier and received correspondence from Richard who enlightened me to the fact it is added to the system. Now I need your thoughts.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It only uses the stock lift pump momentarily for startup.......as soon as the engine starts and the Glacier pump is supplying fuel pressure the electric pump shuts off.
I bought a FASS unit, but had this unit been available then I would have used it instead.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
You retain the stock lift pump for two reasons:

1) To prime the system before the engine is started. You also would use the stock lift pump to prime the system after a fuel filter change (or other maintenance that requires opening the system)
2) The stock lift pump is a back-up in the event something happens to the Fuel Boss, like a broken belt. When the pressure in the system drops, the stock lift pump kicks in to provide pressure until you can resolve the issue with the Fuel Boss.

It's actually giving you the best of both worlds by retaining the electric pump.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:02 AM

thanks for the response, I believe I have a better understanding of how it works.

thanks
Old 04-27-2011, 12:27 AM

Got one on my truck for just about the past year, love it. Idle is 16-18 psi, max is 18-20 psi. Have the stock LP on a switch in case the belt ever breaks, I like not having to rely on another electric pump that could go out at any time.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:22 AM

Masterlow, I thought once the Fuel Boss started to run the electric pump would stop running, so why the switch? I do believe that is what I was told from Glacier Diesel. Is the case different?
Old 04-29-2011, 09:10 PM

the kit comes with a pressure switch that kicks the stock pump in and out. The manual says that you can install a switch that will assist in priming for a new fuel filter. I put one on, but it didnt do anything, so either my stock pump is dead, or I did something wrong.

Fuel Boss is they way to go though, its awesome! Plus its upgradeable. As you get over a certain HP, you can get a smaller pulley that will spin the pump faster, giving more fuel. Installation is pretty straightforward, and well explained in the manual (which you can download off the site, see if its somethin you can handle). I have always had good pressure with it, never seen below 14 psi, and it has a releif valve, so you never go over 20 psi.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:56 AM
Chapter President

I installed mine without the electric pump. Fuel Boss only. Could not be happier.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:06 AM

I've had a fuel boss for about 3 months now and love it. I kept my in the tank electric conversion kit in and added a draw straw. Works great, fuel pressure is always between 16-18. The only problem I have had is at first rubber from the installation fuel hose getting stuck in the relief valve. I added a fuel filter before the relief valve and problem solved. I plan on adding a switch to keep power to the electric pump in case I need to bleed the system but for the time being, when I need to bleed it, I unplug the pressure switch and plug it back when it's bled.

The main advantage is an electric motor will fail, it's just a matter of when? Mechanical is the way to go.