24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Front axle alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front axle alignment

There was a thread a few weeks ago about front tire wear being caused by missalignment of the rear axle.
My front right tire is being tore up pretty quick and I wanted to find out why before it was too late. I checked my ball joints out and they were tight, all the steering components have been replaced as well as the trackbar.
So I grabbed a tape measure and a friend and proceeded to measure the distance between the front and rear axles.
I was surprised to see that the wheel base was 3/4" shorter on the drivers side than on the passenger side. I also measured the rear axle to a fixed piont on the cab and came up with equal numbers. So the rear axle seems straight but the front is either shifted 3/4" foward on the passenger side or 3/4" rearward on the driverside.
My buddy happens to have the same truck so we measured his. Almost the same thing, 5/8" difference in the wheel base measurement.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this normal? I want to replaced any worn parts before bringing to truck in for an alignment.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had mine aligned at about 150000 miles but was still getting 80000 miles out of a set of tires.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:13 PM

Since you measured the rear axle to a fixed point on the cab or frame crossmember, the problem should be in the front. I think you have the 4 link front suspension and there are some adjustments. I haven't aligned that one yet so I can't advise you on the adjustments.If you have checked all the bushings and joints to make sure they are tight, then the next step is taking it to a front end shop that can do a 4 wheel alignment on a dually. If there is setback they can find it and if it can be adjusted, they will do that. If it can not be adjusted, it will have to go on a frame pad to straighten the frame to correct the setback.
You will be amazed at the difference the alignment will make in driving and handleing.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:00 PM

I agree that there is some adjusablity to the links (for caster), but I don't think they would be able to adjust out nearly 1".
As far as straighening the frame, how would it have become bent? I bought the truck new (ordered it special) and it has never been in an accident.
Lets say that the end link bushings are worn, that would account for some of the distance, but would they not both left and right wear pretty much evenly?

I'm not asking anyone to magically have the answer to the problem, I know it can only be few things that can cause this. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and if so what was the out come?
Old 04-24-2005, 11:29 PM

the bushings can wear out seperately causing your problem. As far as the frame getting bent, guesses are hitting a pot hole, bumping a curb, letting someone else drive your truck, maybe it was out since it left the factory, or fell off the transport before delivery. Anything that would bump the wheel hard could cause it or a bump on the bumper while pushing someone, or getting pulled out when stuck. There are a lot of possibilities that would cause it. Good luck
Old 04-25-2005, 02:08 PM

My truck was doing the same thing, and the toe-in (sp) was out on it. Just neede to be lined up...