24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fluid for nv5600?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 07:19 PM
RV2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fluid for nv5600?

What type of fluid should I put in my 6 speed and how much?
Old 02-18-2011, 09:31 PM
RV2

Nobody can recommend trans fluid for me?
Old 02-18-2011, 10:17 PM

I run royal purple, but recommend red line. Either way I HIGHLY (HIGHLY) recommend a full synthetic of some type, not the factory partial synthetic, and an extra quart through the top pto bolt, or through the shift tower.

Patience, others will weigh in on this, trust me!

Full synthetic because the transmission gets hot due to the iron case's lack of heat dissipation, (it gets hot!) and extra quart for helping keep the mainshaft bearings cool.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:26 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
The NV5600 takes a special lubricant, not gear oil. The Dodge part number is 4874464. Some have used aftermarket oils with success, but I have no experience with that.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:27 PM

Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (MTF) is recommended for the NV5600 and Retails for $11.10 per Quart, $8.55 for preferred customers.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:01 PM

I use Castrol Syngear CD–50 and have in two different trucks. For me it shifts better and is a lot quieter then the oem and redline mtl fluid that I tried in the past. But each trans seems to be different. So for me Castrol Syngear CD–50 has worked the best and has for a little over 5yr. 50,000 miles
Old 02-19-2011, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by RV2
Nobody can recommend trans fluid for me?
No offence meant - but the lack of answers are probably because this question has been asked and answered thousands of times. It just takes a simple search to find the info. Just about anything that can be asked about these trucks has been addressed on this site.

Amsoil is what you want.

www.dodgeram.org for info on capacities and just about anything else.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:33 AM

I've run Amsoil MTF since basically day one. I did try and use RedLine MTL but honestly prefer the MTF.

Make sure you run 6 quarts. You have to pull the shift tower to get it all in, there is no other way. It's a pain to do it the first time but is actually pretty fast when you have done it a couple of times.

When you do drain the trans, pull one of the PTO covers off (drivers for me) and then jack the rear of the truck up as high as you can get it. You will be surprised how much oil is still in there. Also, fish around and find the magnet and clean it off, it's small little thing like a fridge magnet.

It's up to you when, but change it on a regular basis mileage wise. I used to go 10,000 miles between changes but have since upped it to 20,000. Oil is cheap compared to a rebuild. I'm over 200,000 miles with zero problems if that's any indication.

The brand of oil is personal preference but you will find most will recommend Amsoil. If you really want to look after your 5600, install a temp gage, that will definitely open your eyes when you see the temps.

Jeff
Old 02-20-2011, 09:08 AM
RV2

thanks for all the answers!!!!
Old 02-20-2011, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Homestead
You have to pull the shift tower to get it all in, there is no other way.
I filled it through one of the upper PTO bolt holes.

Amsoil MTF.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Homestead
I've run Amsoil MTF since basically day one. I did try and use RedLine MTL but honestly prefer the MTF.

Make sure you run 6 quarts. You have to pull the shift tower to get it all in, there is no other way. It's a pain to do it the first time but is actually pretty fast when you have done it a couple of times.

When you do drain the trans, pull one of the PTO covers off (drivers for me) and then jack the rear of the truck up as high as you can get it. You will be surprised how much oil is still in there. Also, fish around and find the magnet and clean it off, it's small little thing like a fridge magnet.

It's up to you when, but change it on a regular basis mileage wise. I used to go 10,000 miles between changes but have since upped it to 20,000. Oil is cheap compared to a rebuild. I'm over 200,000 miles with zero problems if that's any indication.

The brand of oil is personal preference but you will find most will recommend Amsoil. If you really want to look after your 5600, install a temp gage, that will definitely open your eyes when you see the temps.

Jeff
Redline MTL here too---may try Amsoil next change.No load/highway----mine runs 160-170F summer temps,loader her down with the 12K fiver and 210F is the highest so far.Outdoor temps really play a part in the overall temps---Last night,-25C after an hour run on the highway at 70MPH, temp only hit 100F and stayed there----rear differential hit 130F max.They do tend to track each other with the diff being 20--30F higher at most times.Cummins motor oil usually runs 190F and stays once up to temp,put a load on and it will climb about 5-10F higher depending on the weight added.My observation---DW
Old 02-20-2011, 12:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Amsoil MTF here too.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm running 6 quarts using Amsoil MTF. Also fill through the top PTO cover bolt hole.

MikeyB
Old 02-20-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
I'm running 6 quarts using Amsoil MTF. Also fill through the top PTO cover bolt hole. MikeyB
This is interesting, they must have made a change after the 02 trucks.

On mine, built July 02, 6 quarts is above the top PTO bolt hole. Sitting on level ground and filled through the top PTO bolt hole, mine will only take 4 1/2 quarts. My neighbor has an 03 with the 5600, I'm going to have to compare it to mine and see if there are any differences.

DWeiler is right about the temps. I run about 170-180 on the highway empty and have got as high as 220 loaded in the hills. Running 5th gear or 6th gear makes a big difference also. 5th runs cooler than 6th in most cases. Even though I can climb what ever hill in 6th, I will downshift to 5th and actually watch the temp come down if I'm running loaded.

Colder weather doesn't really come into play, this winter I don't think my trans temps have come off the peg yet, there is no heat to be made when it's cold out.

Again, I think oil choice is more preference (and availability) but I found MTF to have a better shift feel to it and it did run cooler ( I found) when I had a chance to run it back to back on the same run loaded.

Jeff
Old 02-20-2011, 05:18 PM

same here mine is about 5 in the pto top hole. have to use the remove shift tower method to put in 6. not sure if that is over kill if its that high.

Quick Reply: Fluid for nv5600?