24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

first timer (fuel pressure)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation first timer (fuel pressure)

Ihave been reading everyones great advice this "D.T.R" is freakin awsome.
I have an '01 24 valve, been told that the fuel pressure guage should be relocated back by the tank, research say good Idea, have also looked into the Holley Blue LP sounds like some leave the stock LP in place and put the Holley back by the tank? or do you put both by the tank along with the fuel filter? Im not mechanically inclined but also hate to pay a premium to fix things, can anyone suggest where to get step by step instructions + parts needed for this particular fix?
Old 02-28-2007, 03:08 PM

WELCOME. This is a GREAT place for info. That being said, I'll try to help..
Some people have moved the lift pump closer to the tank. This makes it a pusher instead of a puller.
As far as moving your fuel pressure gauge, I have mine tapped in just before the injection pump. That way, I know what the pump is getting, not what is going into the filter, assuming you have stock filter set up.
I have installed the FASS system with filters on mine and it bypasses the factory filter. I know that my pressure going into the pump is around 13 psi.
Vulcan has a LP relocation kit that will move the factory pump back by the tank. It is here
Like I said, I went with the FASS system and not the relocation kit but looking at the pieces included with the Vulcan kit, it shouldn't be a big deal for you to do. If you can read and unbolt and bolt on parts and run a drill, you can do it.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:36 AM

Hey, appreciate your help I wish I new half of the stuff some of you guys know.
is this alll ill need then ? I saw that some were using two pumps in line is this good to do? I dont hotrod my truck I do pull my camper and take trips to Moab but dont do any real heavy work with it. also I do alot of stop and go in the winter months "short trips" but Ill let hte truck run for awhile to warm up which is the most my truck will probably ever do so I want to do the best for the conditions I put my truck into will this work along with a F.P guage.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:47 AM

Everything Fade said. I didn't do the Fass but I did do the LP relocation kit, with a dual FP guage. Which reads pressure at the Inj pump and just before the filter. The big line kit and relocation kit made a dramatic improvement in my Fuel pressure numbers, and it was a relatively easy install. No drilling involved, and if you order from Geno's comes with step by step instructions. Also has a port predrilled in the fitting for the IP for a fuel pressure guage. Good Luck!
Old 03-01-2007, 10:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome! And what a way to start, messing with the lift pump!
I am new to this myself, had the truck since November last year. But it is very simple, and I have proven it: my setup for LP is unlike anybody else's because I used the parts I had, yet it works just fine. Good luck with your truck! It is not all that hard. The simplest way is to relocate the stock LP, some hoses and wires is all you actually need. With a non-stock, high performance LP you will need to drop the fuel tank and add another return line.
-P
Old 03-01-2007, 11:39 PM

Im not mechanically inclined but also hate to pay a premium to fix things,
If it's not broken, don't fix it...
I dont hotrod my truck I do pull my camper and take trips to Moab but dont do any real heavy work with it.
You should have plenty of stock truck to do the driving/pulling you mentioned. Upgrading is good, but busting your diesel can really suck if you can't put her back together. Money well spent on an upgrade install may be cheaper than a bill to uninstall. I guess if you feel comfortable with a wrench and diesel theory, then go for it. If not, then pay someone for thier knowledge....
Old 03-02-2007, 09:44 AM

PC//Thks for the info you are absolutly right about the aint broke part but Iam not necessarily trying to get more power or anything like that I was just told by a friend that the placement of the stock pump was not good and that I should move it back by the tank... after that I kinda roped myself into the blue holley and reloc kit... If I dont need to do that then I wont Ill just move the stock to thew tank and install a pressure guage in the cab and call it good. is this what youre saying is all I need to do to compensate for the stock placement? again thankyou Paul for your input also it all helps.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:52 AM

I would move the pump, sure. I just wanna make sure it get's done right or it could turn out to bee the root of much greater problems..
Old 03-02-2007, 12:21 PM

Yeah I have a friend that used to work for Dodge Ill probably pay him to take care of it, I just didint want to spend 400$ when all I need is some hose and bolts. and yes Im quickly finding out how much these trucks can cost to repair so I dont want to be breakin' ... if I can help it. what about the fuel filter is it alright where it is?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:23 PM

Unless your gonna go with a FASS or something similar, i'd leave it right there also. Besides, it's easy to get to right there..
Old 03-02-2007, 12:25 PM

Copy that man.. by the way what is FASS?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:28 PM

Fuel Air $eparator $ystem. Do a google on it and you'll $ee.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tom wils
Copy that man.. by the way what is FASS?
http://www.dieselpp.com/fass.html
Old 03-02-2007, 12:30 PM

Thanks I will. late.