24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Finally bought a 24 valve, a few ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 03:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally bought a 24 valve, a few ??'s

here's the truck we bought, with 3 other 12valves.
we got this one for $4,500 its a 2001 short bed, quad cab, auto. Motor seemed good when we bought it, but when it got here, it had no power, reved only till 2500 rpm's
we tested fuel pressure after fuel filter = 0
before filter it was 10 psi.

so we replaced filter, then it worked very great, good power and everything!!! after driving it for like 40 miles,
now it does the same thing again! No power! so we already ordered a new filter lets see what happens,
if in the tank is as much sand as in the bed, then its obvious...
what should i do?

what do you think?
Old 10-06-2006, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dunno, but, IMHO you got a great deal for that money. Even if you have to put some into it to bring it back to 100%.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second what Tudor said!
You got a graet deal. I noticed the Texas plates and your location listed as Mexico! Could you have been one of those in the long train of cars hauling cars southbound on I35 last week? Thise caravans always scare the devil outta me! You'll see a minivan hauling a midsize car on a towbar and then wonder how they are gonna stop them rascals in an emergency.
BTW, where did you get such a good deal and do they have any more priced like that? Other than it being the wrong color and having the wrong type of transmission it is perfect!

Dry Creek
Old 10-06-2006, 05:00 PM
JAX

I would just drop the tank, and have it thouroughly flushed. Then look at getting a pusher pump put on the framerail, there's a bunch out there. Then, once you get it installed, pull the fuel line from the pump to the water/fuel seperator. Crank the ignition just enough to get the pump working, it'll run for about 20 seconds. A couple times doing this will flush the lines out. Then button her back up and you'll be good to go! Screamin deal by the way, SCREAMIN deal.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by DryCreek
I second what Tudor said!
You got a graet deal. I noticed the Texas plates and your location listed as Mexico! Could you have been one of those in the long train of cars hauling cars southbound on I35 last week? Thise caravans always scare the devil outta me! You'll see a minivan hauling a midsize car on a towbar and then wonder how they are gonna stop them rascals in an emergency.
BTW, where did you get such a good deal and do they have any more priced like that? Other than it being the wrong color and having the wrong type of transmission it is perfect!

Dry Creek

no minivans for me
there are more people getting the cheap stuff out of your country
we genarally only buy dodge diesels there!

bought it in Dallas, found it on Autotrader!

there is another 98 quad cab long bed, you wouldnt like the color either, white and yellow! was under 5 thousand too!

ok ill have to pull that tank and flush it!

waht pusher pump should i get? cheapest?

thanks for the comments
Old 10-06-2006, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
White is OK by me - yellow though would make me hesitate, unless it was just as good a deal! White and yellow sounds like some type of delivery company colors, was it a retired hot shot truck?
I found my 24 valve 2nd gen in truck trader. It was a good deal, but nothing like what you found! Godd luck.
Dry Creek
Old 10-06-2006, 09:11 PM

12v, what do you guys do with all the CTD's?? You can only drive one at a time...

BTW, on that 24V I would bet my last dollar that it needs a lift pump and possibly an injector pump. You should read up in the 24V forums...
Old 10-06-2006, 09:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Really good deal!
I agree- flush the tank.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:48 PM
JAX

Originally Posted by 12valve
no minivans for me
there are more people getting the cheap stuff out of your country
we genarally only buy dodge diesels there!

bought it in Dallas, found it on Autotrader!

there is another 98 quad cab long bed, you wouldnt like the color either, white and yellow! was under 5 thousand too!

ok ill have to pull that tank and flush it!

waht pusher pump should i get? cheapest?

thanks for the comments
I would look at the FASS or the Walboro. I personally have the FASS. Installed it myself, and it comes with a 400K mile warranty. Cost 395. Talk with Diesel-Dan on these formus.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
12v, what do you guys do with all the CTD's?? You can only drive one at a time...

BTW, on that 24V I would bet my last dollar that it needs a lift pump and possibly an injector pump. You should read up in the 24V forums...
ok, its a big farm, 2 bosses, and 4 boys
so we need some for our workers and for us, and we buy and sell trucks all the time!

I flushed the tank today, installed a new filter, installed a fuel pressure gauge,

it shows close to 15 psi idle,
around 10 pis normal cruising
and 6 minumum psi at WOT

Feels like lift pump and injector pumps seems to be working good, I would NOT install any of those pumps, just to resell it, the way it works now,
power is ok for a stock truck!

the truck has 294.000 miles, and you cant really see the scratches on the photo, repainting trucks in mexico is generally cheaper then in USA, i know a good place who does a good job. Ive been quoted $1,500 to paint the whole truck another color, and another place for 2,400.. Same color would be cheaper though!

i welded a 5" chrome pipe on tonight, i start loving this truck! But my dad hates black, so as soon as its done and clean we are going to try selling it.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by DryCreek
White is OK by me - yellow though would make me hesitate, unless it was just as good a deal! White and yellow sounds like some type of delivery company colors, was it a retired hot shot truck?
Dry Creek
No idea what it is, he askes $3900 for it, here it is, if you want a phone number PM me, it had no power, but I wouldnt know if its a dirt fuel and air filter like on my black one, but you could go see it.

id just paint the yellow stripe white, done!