24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fan and fan clutch question ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Question Fan and fan clutch question ?

Does anyone know what exactly is needed to remove the fan and fan clutch? I keep hearing about a 37mm nut or something like that. I am planning on removing my fan/clutch for the winter this year, and want to know if I need to get any specific socket or anything.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
RADIATOR FAN - 5.9L DIESEL
REMOVAL
CAUTION: If the viscous fan drive is replaced because of mechanical damage, the cooling fan blades should also be inspected. Inspect for fatigue cracks, loose blades, or loose rivets that could have resulted from excessive vibration. Replace fan blade assembly if any of these conditions are found. Also inspect water pump bearing and shaft assembly for any related damage due to a viscous fan drive malfunction.

(1) Disconnect the battery negative cables.
(2) Remove the fan shroud mounting bolts. Position fan shroud towards engine. CAUTION: Do not remove the fan pulley bolts. This pulley is under spring tension.
(3) The thermal viscous fan drive/fan blade assembly is attached (threaded) to the fan hub shaft (Fig. 7). Remove the fan blade/fan drive assembly from fan pulley by turning the mounting nut clockwise (as viewed from front). Threads on the viscous fan drive are LEFT-HAND. A Snap-On 36 MM Fan Wrench (number SP346 from Snap-On Cummins Diesel Tool Set number 2017DSP) can be used. Place a bar or screwdriver between the fan pulley bolts to prevent pulley from rotating.
(4) Remove the fan shroud and the fan blade/viscous drive as an assembly from vehicle.
(5) Remove fan blade-to-viscous fan drive mounting bolts.
(6) Inspect the fan for cracks, loose rivets, loose or bent fan blades.

CAUTION: Some engines equipped with serpentine drive belts have reverse rotating fans and viscous fan drives. They are marked with the word REVERSE to designate their usage. Installation of the wrong fan or viscous fan drive can result in engine overheating.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Thank you AggieJustin.