24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

exhaust brake

Old 09-15-2011, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust brake

Looking to install an exhaust brake,don't know which one yet,anyone know what kind of a job it can turn into?
Old 09-15-2011, 10:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
there all good for the most part But I prefer pacbrake and a dislike jake brake because of the known vac pump failures. real easy to install if you get a turbo mount and if you get an inline you need to make sure you have no leaks
Old 09-15-2011, 10:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
pac and bd are the best and work the best. the bd has a better compressor mounting scheme than the pac and i prefer it for this reason. but either one will make you happy
Old 09-16-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by carl48
pac and bd are the best and work the best. the bd has a better compressor mounting scheme than the pac and i prefer it for this reason. but either one will make you happy
is the bd a straight bolt in unit? jerry
Old 09-16-2011, 10:53 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Yes the Bd exhaust brake is available in both turbo mount and remote mount. Turbo mounted brakes are easy to install.

However, if you ever have plans to go to a performance turbo use the remote mount/inline brake as you will end up losing your exhaust brake due to fit and clearance issues.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Hector-BD
Yes the Bd exhaust brake is available in both turbo mount and remote mount. Turbo mounted brakes are easy to install.

However, if you ever have plans to go to a performance turbo use the remote mount/inline brake as you will end up losing your exhaust brake due to fit and clearance issues.
thanks for the reply,i,m probably getting to old to worry about performance jerry
Old 09-16-2011, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got a jake on mine the switch is mounted on the 6 speed shifter. Have never had a problem with it, it was put on as an accessory from Dave Smith Sales in ID. and makes braking much nicer when pulling my fifthwheel. I think any exhaust brake will help just my 2 cents.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
reelay the jake is old technology. the bd and pac has twice the stooping power of the jake and is consistent from idle to 3,200 rpm the vacuum pumps fail often if the diaphragm fails you just lose the brake but if the pump fails it locks up and burns the serpentine belt into before you can pull over and stop. as our pumps fail we switch to bd. as hector stated it is about a 2 hour install. on one of my installs i forgot to order the shifter switch, i needed the truck so i temporally used a toggle switch. i placed it to fit between my thumb and index finger. i liked it so much i changed the one on my personal truck to match
Old 09-17-2011, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Jacobs here. Nearly 13 years and has never missed a beat. Still got the original brakes all the way around at 189,000 miles and I pull a 30 foot GN. Got the old fashioned red two speed rear end switch on the shifter to turn it on and off.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carl48
reelay the jake is old technology. the bd and pac has twice the stooping power of the jake and is consistent from idle to 3,200 rpm the vacuum pumps fail often if the diaphragm fails you just lose the brake but if the pump fails it locks up and burns the serpentine belt into before you can pull over and stop. as our pumps fail we switch to bd. as hector stated it is about a 2 hour install. on one of my installs i forgot to order the shifter switch, i needed the truck so i temporally used a toggle switch. i placed it to fit between my thumb and index finger. i liked it so much i changed the one on my personal truck to match
Picture caught my eye while hubby was away from computer. Wife (me) loves this spot for the brake switch. It's the best spot ever, and most convenient.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:55 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by jkoons
Looking to install an exhaust brake,don't know which one yet,anyone know what kind of a job it can turn into?
To better answer your question.....its not that hard to install one. If you have some basic knowledge of mechanics and the basic tools, its not a hard job. If you have a buddy who's better at this stuff then maybe a weekend barbeque and some beer would go a long way.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by rebal
Picture caught my eye while hubby was away from computer. Wife (me) loves this spot for the brake switch. It's the best spot ever, and most convenient.
That is where my jake brake switch is located too. So far mine is working great but thanks for your input of the other types I will keep them in mind if and when mine fails.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:33 PM

Same place for my switch, but I used a push/pull switch.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by nkennedy
Same place for my switch, but I used a push/pull switch.
Same here, two speed rear end switch from NAPA.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:06 PM

I just put the BD in a few months ago.
Went with the Vacuum operated, turbo mount model (I'm cheap )

Love it. Also added the BD X-Hale exhaust at the same time - 4" turbo back - with the dual tail pipes. Another great addition (although I'm sure that any 4" system would be similar).

Don't know what took me so long to do those mods.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: exhaust brake