24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Every now and again...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 07:30 PM
Les

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Every now and again...

...my wife's pickup (2000 Ram 2500--24v) won't start. It will crank fine...do everything it's supposed to do except start. She will crank on it, off and on, for just a bit and it will eventually start.

This will happen at any given time...not just cold or anything like that. I'm thinkin' fuel solenoid?...maybe? Could it be that there's something loose or out of adjustment? It doesn't make much sense why it doesn't happen all the time.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give. I'm a first time poster here...but a long time "lurker". After being here several times and having my questions answered (by reading the posts) I am convinced that if there's an answer to my question...someone on here has it

Thanks so much~
Old 02-08-2004, 11:14 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
First off, you should fill out your profile so everyone can help you better by knowing what you have. Second, it sounds like you have a lift pump going or is gone. I would suggest getting a fuel pressure check ASAP before you take out the VP44, if your fuel pressure is down.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:27 PM
Les

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Katoom~

I appreciate the response. Sorry about the profile...I filled in all the blanks it had to fill in. I just have a bone stock 200 24v Cummins...nothing fancy to report. While I would like to do some tweaks to mine because I'm constantly pulling a 12-15k gooseneck, I don't know exactly what to do yet. I'm still studyin' up on things and tryin' to learn a little more about what is available and what I can do.

As I mentioned, the problem is with the wife's pickup...the powerplant is the same...2000 24v Cummins...bone stock. Both pickups have less than 80k miles.

Thanks again for the input...I appreciate it a bunch. Sorry for not havin' a whole lotta stuff written here about our pickups...they're pretty boring right now...

Did I mention that I have a straight pipe and no silencer ring?
Old 02-08-2004, 11:52 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Go to the top of this page and click on USER CP. The one on the left side of the 7 blue rectangles. Then click on EDIT PROFILE. Then type in your info in the SIGNATURE area. List everything you have and done to your truck/trucks. Or do like some and list everything that makes you happy! But do check that fuel pressure. Those lift pumps can go bad (for many various reasons) at very low milage and you will do more damage by running with low fuel pressure. Or it can be something simple like a clogged fuel filter or a cracked fuel line allowing air into the system.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now that's a marriage made in heaven.

A two CTD family