24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Engine removal help

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine removal help

I'm about to remove an engine from a wrecked truck (1998.5 24 valve) and transfer it to another one (2000 24 valve) but I need a few answers before I continue. I have removed the transfer case and auto tranny from the first engine and have disconnected most of the things that need to be. What I would like to know is:
Can I remove and/or replace the engine with the auto transmission attached?
What tool is used to connect to the lifting brackets to lift the engine?
Are there any tricks, which may not be apparant, to removing/replacing the engine?
Is the engine disconnected by loosening the single large bolt in the frame mounting or do I have to disconnect the bracket from the engine side?
Old 02-16-2009, 12:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, you do have to disconnect the trans from the engine. The large blot will release the motor mounts. Tip, take the ac compressor off, it gets in the way to line it up putting it in.

Raise the engine and probably have to take the valve cover and rear two cylinders valve rockers off for clearance. So with the engine up about four inches, remove the pan and then the pickup. Now you can remove the engine.

I made a sling bracket for pulling them, but have done it with a chain. A piece of three inch channel cut down at the back works well for a sling.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:56 PM

When I re-installed my engine, I managed to install it with the Oil Pan and Valve Cover on. It was a VERY tight sqeeze, but with a couple watching eyes it can be done.

Rick
Old 02-16-2009, 09:01 PM

Thanks for the input guys, it all helps especially when you are doing this for the first time.

Do I understand that it is necessary to remove the oil pan and pickup to get the engine out or can it be done with the pan in place? If it will go back in with the pan and valve cover in place, surely it will come out in the same condition. It would appear that the lift point on the chain across the two lifting brackets is quite critical, do you have any idea of where, in terms of measurement, that point is?
Old 02-16-2009, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
OK, you do have to disconnect the trans from the engine. The large blot will release the motor mounts. Tip, take the ac compressor off, it gets in the way to line it up putting it in.

Raise the engine and probably have to take the valve cover and rear two cylinders valve rockers off for clearance. So with the engine up about four inches, remove the pan and then the pickup. Now you can remove the engine.

I made a sling bracket for pulling them, but have done it with a chain. A piece of three inch channel cut down at the back works well for a sling.
why type it again...
Old 02-17-2009, 01:10 PM

I pulled mine with pan in place. I had all the rockers off already, so that wasn't a problem. I also just used a chain and had no problems. I ended up pulling the mounts out with it though, as they wouldn't let the motor loose. All in all it was pretty easy. I would, however; suggest leaving the wire harness, ecm, etc all attached and disconnect from the firewall wherever possible. That thing was a huge PITA.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:32 PM

Thanks again guys. I am going to try removal without dropping the pan or removing the valve cover to start with just to see if it's possible in this case. Unfortunatly, I have to remove the wire harness from the engine as it is faulty while to one on the new truck is fine. I had a bad short in the origional which I had to fix by adding extra cables. I don't want to transfer that loom.

This removal will be a learning experience for removing the engine from my new truck that this one will replace.

I now have a great deal more confidence thanks to your input. Wish me luck!!!