24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Engine cuts out under load

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine cuts out under load

I have 2002 5.9 ctd, 4x4, auto trans. Has edge juice w/ attitude, 4k miles on new injection pump, BD diesels transfer pump.

Was towing 7k lb trailer to go camping, and noticed that something just wasn't right, I wasn't able to go past 18psi boost on level 2. I was able to hit 22 on level 5, but something just wasn't right.

Next morning let truck idle for about 10 minutes, at one point the idle jumped up and came right back, as if someone had hit the accelerator pedal. Then, the next morning, the idle cut out really quick a couple times.

On the way home, going up grades, on level 1, found engine was cutting out and coming right back while under load, if I eased off the gas it was ok, the more I pressed on the gas, the more violent the cutting out got.

Got home, barely, and checked faults, found P0237, for turbo boost sensor. Now it IS possible I set that when I didn't unplugged the spliced wire harness from the edge module, plus, I dont' really see that sensor causing this big of an issue... I dont think anyway.

I'm a BMW master tech, and diesels aren't my strong point. It almost feels like something is cutting out fuel completely for a split second... I can really duplicate the concern right now, i've tried making it set some sort of fault after clearing P0237, but nothing has come back.

I really dont want to pay Cummins to fix this, can someone throw me a bone please?

Thanks for reading- Carl
Old 04-05-2010, 05:02 PM

Sounds like it could be related to the apps, maybe a bad unit or just a bad connection.(This happened on mine) First try unplugging the apps and cleaning the connection with some contact cleaner. If that doesn't work, do a search on here for checking apps voltage.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:39 PM

Have you changed your fuel filter? do you have a fuel pressure gauge?
Old 04-08-2010, 04:16 PM

I took a fuel sample, and it didn't look good, so I drain out all the fuel and replaced the fuel filter and filled the tank full. Everything was acting normal until I was coasting down a hill and felt a couple hick-ups. I had pulled into girlfriends driveway at top of hill and shut it down. Once I left and was driving home, it started sputtering again just like described in first post, it just cuts out for split second, and if I get ******, and just floor it, it almost dies.

My fuel pressure is fine, stays between 13-20psi. I just put this freaking Thourghbread inejction pump on it 4k miles ago, i'm going to be furious if it's failed already.

I can check the apps, I just think it's weird that that could cause this

-carl
Old 04-11-2010, 02:24 PM

My 3500 did the same pulling a backhoe to the house and thought I wouldn't make it home but did. I had noticed before at low rpms a slight hesitation but nothing else until I put it under a load which magnified the problem. Now it has continued to get worse even under no load.

I just ordered new water and fuel filters for the fass 150 system and hope this will solve the problem.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is your fuel pressure guage electric or mechanical?
Old 04-12-2010, 06:19 AM

Mechanical Autometer 15# with a broken needle. Right now I don't have one working.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you mean by the fuel sample looking bad? Are you noticing any smoke on start up or under load? What color is it when it is acting up? Did you drain your fuel filter through the flip valve thingy to get water out?
Old 04-16-2010, 08:23 AM

No I sucked it out of the tank and used the transfer pump to get the remainder of it out. Put new diesel in it and it was a fine for a bit, but then started to act up again after about 20 minutes of driving.

Decided to take it to Dodge a few days ago, they say the Injection pump has failed again. Mind you, I just replaced the injection pump with a rebuilt pump from Thoroughbred Diesel 4,000 miles ago.

So hopefully my warranty wont be voided by my BD Diesel adaptor plate I had to put on for the Edge module.

SUCKS!!!

-carl