24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Draw straw replacement??'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Draw straw replacement??'s

My factory draw straw with the intank filter is split and I can't get below 1/3rd tank before I start sucking air.
My question: does anyone sell a replacement drawstraw that has an intank filter attached? I can find drawstraws@ http://www.vulcanperformance.com/ser...2%84%A2/Detail
but none of them appear to have an intank filter attached. I'm using the FASS system with the two filters, so do I really need the intank filter?
Old 04-17-2008, 05:46 PM

When I installed the vulcan draw straw in my fuel tank module, I left the bottom screen inplace and just cut out the inner one like they tell you too. Havn't had any problems so far, have about 8000miles on it since I put the draw straw and FASS system on it. If you really worried about it, you could always put a inline filter in between the tank and the FASS system, but I wouldn't go to small on the microns as you don't wanna over work the FASS. Its like the factory lift pump, its a better pusher than a sucker.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:53 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want to also install a drawstraw, but i've heard you can't go below 1/4 tank or you run out. is that accurate?
Old 04-18-2008, 05:35 PM
SCC

I went with the 1/2" draw straw to compliment the rest of the fuel system and to be honest it is all in how you cut it, I cut mine a little high so just under a 1/4 (between 1/8 mark and 1/4) tank is when it won't grab fuel. But you can cut it lower and go all of the way down to empty. Measure twice (or even three times) and cut once.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by JPR Ram
I want to also install a drawstraw, but i've heard you can't go below 1/4 tank or you run out. is that accurate?
I installed a draw straw that came with my Airdog 150 (1/2 inch) I put it in the send unit, When I installed it I only had 1/8 of a tank, I drove to the gas station and I never ran out, the send unit acts like a cup so when the tank is low the sloshing fuel stays near the draw straw. Now if you put it in the tank its self, I can see how it would be sucking air when you have a low fuel level as it sloshes around.

BTW I installed the Airdog yesterday. I plan on running it to empty to see where it will run out of fuel...note to self remember to bring jerry can of fuel
Old 04-18-2008, 09:45 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
When I installed the draw straw in mine, as well as others, I kept the stock basket on the module, but cut away the inner screen. I then cut the bottom end of the straw at about a 15 degree angle, and at a length where it rests on the plastic ring that is molded into the base of the basket.

at this point, I am pretty sure that it will draw the absolute max from the tank before pulling air.

I have put 125 litres in a 130 liter tank, and didn't run out at that point, so I suppose it is far enough down.

Now, I need a slightly different LP system to go with the draw straw, and life would be good. Thinking of going to raptor this time, or else custom building something mechanical.

I'll burn that bridge when I get to it.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:28 AM

With the FASS I sure can't imagine that you would "need" the in tank filter. It's very coarse and probably doesn't do much if anything. I would think FASS would provide in their literature any needed or required prefiltering. But the design of the pumps is such that it will pump any small trash in the tank. So, the filters can do their job and the pump will churn away.

I would put in a draw straw and never look back.

Dave
Old 04-20-2008, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by JPR Ram
No, absolutely false.

Every time this has been an issue it is installer error. I have taken tanks apart that had the Draw Straw cut 3" off the bottom. One owner said it was installed "perfect". Another issue is getting the module secured in the factory position so the gauge is accurate.

I could see the potential for the pickup to lose prime or contact with the fuel at very steep angles when the tank is near empty. But I put 28 gallons in my truck today 2 miles from the boat ramp and it was a steep one! In fact, the steepest ramp I have ever used and requires 4 wheel drive on a dry day. (Boat in tow). I use this ramp close to 60 times a year and have never lost prime.

The FASS and AirDog units create a few problems when leaving the screen in the bottom of the module with very low fuel. As these units can empty that "puck" bottom. But most folks keep some fuel in the truck as a just in case.

I have a couple of ideas of how to make the system work a bit better with these bypass pumps. But the bottom line is you have a certain amount of flat area on the tank bottom and you have to have the pickup in the green fuel. I really wish the factory would have formed a small depression where the module is. It would have solved even the factory issues.

Dave
Old 05-20-2008, 02:52 PM

I have an 03 that I believe has the same basket as you 2nd gen guys. Mine looks nothing like the others I have seen on here (the yellow ones, like the liberty). Mine is white, bulky, inaccessible, and almost impossible to take apart.
I ran my draw straw in the cup, but attached a piece of ether hose like 53willys did and ran it to the bottom of the cup and also cut off the top screen (like mentioned above). But I had little success, my AD ran a nice 15psi but after driving a couple miles it began to jump around and eventually dropped to 0.
I am about to make another attempt to make this right.

If you ran the solid draw straw down to the bottom of the cup, how do you know how far down to take it, the bottom of the cup does move up and down right?

And second, have you guys had problems sucking the cup dry or did you guys put extra holes in the bottom?

I am seriously considering just installing the draw straw in the tank and not in the cup. When I dropped my tank with under 1/4 tank in it, I had about 2-3" of fuel in the bottom so I can see if I cut it close to the bottom it should work. Not to mention my tank has a low point on it that dips down in the middle just in front of the cup that looks like it would be a perfect spot, as seen from under the truck.

Any Input??
Old 05-23-2008, 04:27 PM

which draw straw do you want. the one with the 5/16 return line or the one without it.