24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dealer wants to replace original LP.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer wants to replace original LP.

I have been geting the "dead pedal" deal every once and a while. The dealer wants to replace the original LP with one in the tank. Is this good or bad?
Old 06-08-2006, 09:57 AM

If i was you i would go to a local cummins shop and pick up the LP you already have, the intake pumps dont make any pressure.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:03 AM

The truck has 80k miles. The dealer will replace the Lp under warranty. Is the new pump that goes in the tank worse than than the original?
Old 06-08-2006, 12:23 PM

Does anyone else have any comments about the replacement LP. Thanks for the information. I just want to make sure I make the right decision.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:34 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Little-bit
Does anyone else have any comments about the replacement LP. Thanks for the information. I just want to make sure I make the right decision.
You are kinda stuck. In order to get the new injection pump, which you will end up getting ($$) you will need to let them install the in tank retro.

The pressure the "new" pump puts out is a little less than most of us would like to see, but the jury is still out on the longevity, which has been the single BIGGEST issue with lift pumps.

Get the in tank, later on, if you want you can add another pump to run in tandem with that one if you desire.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:51 PM

I had two of the original pumps die on me before the 'in tank' pump was introduced. I've now got ~30,000Km on the in tank model and it's worked fine.

I've got no info on what sort of pressure it's running.

What is the benifit of adding a second pump or increasing the pressure?
Old 06-08-2006, 01:56 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyT
I had two of the original pumps die on me before the 'in tank' pump was introduced. I've now got ~30,000Km on the in tank model and it's worked fine.

I've got no info on what sort of pressure it's running.

What is the benifit of adding a second pump or increasing the pressure?
No benefit so to speak, the danger is when you are demanding more fuel than the factory pump is able to supply (higher horesepowers). The VP is cooled by fuel, when you are sucking down to 3 and less psi, there is not much fuel there to cool the pump as it bypasses.

Probably not a big deal in a stock, non heavy towing application.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:23 PM

I have the in-tank pump on my '99. I just installed a fuel pressure guage. Its a 15psi guage, and its pegged at 15 or more at idle. If I really romp on it, It will pull down to 10 or 11. I figure if I continuously see it at this level, then I'm fine. If it starts to drop at idle, or go below 8 or 9 with my foot into it (very rarely with the price of fuel these days!! ) then I'll have to re-wire and mount one of the FASS pumps on the rail.

I think its MANDATORY that you get and install a fuel pressure guage. I got a pretty cheap one at Geno's Garage (online) and it was pretty simple to install. If you aren't handy with this kinda stuff, or don't have a good friend like I do to "assist" you, then I would even pay the bucks at a diesel shop to have them install one.

Again, I don't think the in-tank pumps are the best solution, but as long as you keep an eye on them, just like anything else - - it may work fine for you or it may crap out in a matter of a couple thousand miles.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:25 PM

Thanks for the information. I Called the dealer. They said they may have to also replace the Injector pump. I told them I have been geting some "dead pedal" and had a "Injection Timiing Malfunction" code. The truck seems to be very sluggish and I can only get about 14-15 mpg out of it.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:36 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Little-bit
Thanks for the information. I Called the dealer. They said they may have to also replace the Injector pump. I told them I have been geting some "dead pedal" and had a "Injection Timiing Malfunction" code. The truck seems to be very sluggish and I can only get about 14-15 mpg out of it.
go for it! you won't do better. do your after market up grades after warranty is gone
Old 06-08-2006, 03:21 PM

Ask them not to install a vp that was reman'd in CZ. The cz reman they installed in my truck under warranty lasted 7000 miles. I can't stress how important a fp gauge is. It can save you a lot of money and headaches down the road. With a comp I could pull the in tank pump to 0 without even getting into it.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:05 AM

fyi, i had the intank lp installed last fall by a local dealer. they told me that the new style pump was no longer covered under warrranty. obviously i wasnt happy at all. i called dc customer service and they proposed to pay all but $200 of the bill for the intank pump. the dealer wanted just over $900. so i agreed to have it done and pay the $200 deductable they called it. the dealer charged me sales tax on the deductable.

a short time after that i took my truck to another dealer and they were professional and helpful. they repalced my vp 44 right away for me. i was very happy with the service. BUT.... i have only been getting 14.5 mpg. i check the mileage by fillups and miles. i am not happy with that #. new filters and all. the only thing i have not been able to get to is the iat sensor. plan to check it this weekend.

going to have cummins install a fp gauge for me soon and keep an eye on that. i hope i figure out my mileage problem.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:14 AM
Registered

The dealer put one in dad's tank 7-8 psi at ldle 2-3 WOT . it's your call, a lot of guys put a pusher pump on also to boost the presure.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:50 PM

Is the in tank LP an impeller pump? Can you draw fuel through it?

If an in line pump installed with an in tank pump,
Is there a chance air can be pulled in with low fuel levels ?
Old 06-09-2006, 04:29 PM

Did they already say the LP was out of spec? Sounds like if you are getting dead pedal it's not your LP rather your VP-44.

Good luck.

-CM