24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

DANG THIS HARD STARTING!- Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One way to check for small leaks that lose prime is to apply air pressure to the fuel tank using the rag(mentioned bove) and then listen carefully for leaks along the line. If there is an O-ring in the pump, as mentioned, I would suspect that is the culprit, however.

At the temps you are describing, cold is not the porblem.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:36 PM

Yestarday unplugged parked downhill, started right up. This morning plugged in parked uphill, started right up. The only thing I did was drain my fuel water seperator (light was not on). Funny thing is my sat for 2 hours after being run the first time this ahppedned to me, which is not a long time. I hope it's gone since I have had no problems the last 2 days. I wish i knew what the problem was/is.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I almost killed my battery this morning. I had to REALLY crank to get it started. A couple times it fired, but wouldn't start.

It seems to be getting worse.

I noticed too that once it starts, I have a lot of white smoke. I figure this is normal at first, but the white smoke stays until the engine is up to temp! Is this normal? I am almost to the point where I would go back to stock injectors if I thought that wouls solve anything!

I still haven't checked the injector lines for tightness, so I have more troubleshooting to do. I CAN say that there aren't any obvious leaks (not anymore

Justin
Old 02-10-2004, 08:48 AM

are you setting any codes?
Old 02-10-2004, 08:52 AM

I haven't checked in a few weeks. Last time I had problems with this, there were no codes.

Justin
Old 02-10-2004, 09:23 AM

Hohn
Have you replaced the fuel line from the tank to the Lift Pump?
Old 02-10-2004, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by HOHN
...It seems to be getting worse....

...I CAN say that there aren't any obvious leaks
Sounds more and more like a bad pump...

My pump did the same thing,, except sometimes going down the highway,, the truck would only maintain speed,, would not accelerate.

When the truck sat for a short period of time, the truck was hard to start, smoked blue, and white, and ran on 2-3 cylinders. After teh truck was started I had good power,, but everytime I parked it, it was hard to start,, and smoked.

A new VP44 fixed my problems. I think that's your problem, since you can't rebuild, or diagnose a '44 quite yet. You have to replace it.

That's my $02

Merrick
Old 02-10-2004, 11:31 AM

Well, I have to say that I have NO driveability problems other than the hard starting.

The thing runs perfectly when warm (and starts instantly), and never hesitates or cuts out.

I suppose it COULD be a VP, but with only 25K on it and an untapped wire, that would have to be some awfully bad luck.

Justin
Old 02-10-2004, 05:05 PM

Well I thought my problems were gone but this morning hard to start again. Took it to dealer and said they will try to find out what the problem is, will leave it with them overnight tomorrow. The fuel system guys first thought was bad pump or check valve as someone mentioned before. Will let you know more when I find out. This sucks.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:52 PM

Just so ya'll know ... Schied is now rebuilding vp 44's in house . call the terre haute location ( this is what i will do if my p-pump conv goes to crap)
Old 02-11-2004, 12:11 AM

one other thing to help tell if it is your vp goin bad ( i know this by heart) or if its a leak ... and this is a dodge/ cummins tech check ..... when your truck hesitates or fails to start, go and unplug your lift pump , try and restart (crank on it abit longer than normal too) if it starts it is prob your vp( p.s. it will start rather slow , not jumping to life as normal ) ... if it does not , it is more than likely a leak of some kind
thats my $02 .........or $01 ..........well heck, i guess i sould pay $02 for that
Old 02-18-2004, 12:15 PM

Well, I just changed the fuel filter and no dice. The truck runs better (always had run great) but still is hard to start if it's been sitting. The canister was full of fuel and there were no discernible cracks in the housing or cover.

Is there some kind of check valve that could be sticking open and allowing fuel to bleed off back to the tank?

The weird thing is this: when I shutdown, I can go back near the fuel tank and actually HEAR the fuel returning to the tank, and pressure is being lost then.

Isn't the fuel system designed to keep the fuel pressurized, at least on the supply side? If not, then how does the truck start so quickly?

I think I am going to have to get a factory service manual and see if that can educate me.

Justin
Old 02-18-2004, 12:20 PM

Make sure the vent cap is off on teh underside of thet truck (on the fuel tank) ?

Some trucks came with it on, and it'll make the truck go kinda Funky.

Merrick
Old 02-18-2004, 01:44 PM

Hey HOHN,
Check out the thread I started on the help section. I was having very similar problems and it turned out to be the lift pump acording to the dealer. They say it wasn't holding pressure and fuel was draining back into tank. The thread is called Lift pump lasted 3 miles. I started one there cause when they replaced the lift pump it crapped out right out of the box. I hope that's all that's wrong. Will post results if I make it home tonight. HA!
Old 02-19-2004, 08:49 AM

I suppose my LP COULD be to blame. I would hate to replace a pump that puts out such good pressure.

What is everyone's FP when the intake heaters are on? My FP barely registers at all. Then I crank it a little, and the LP kicks on and my FP goes to 18-20. I let it run a little while then I crank it over and it starts.

But it will never start on the first crank, when the LP is in the "startup" mode and the FP is low.

If the truck has only been sitting briefly, the FP will spike to 10 or so then hold 5psi at startup. It starts on the first crank in those cases.

This all seems to point to the LP allowing pressure to bleed off and then the whole system has to reprime if its been sitting for any length of time.

Maybe it's time for a trip to the dealer to get a new LP under warranty...

Justin

Quick Reply: DANG THIS HARD STARTING!- Please Help