24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

DANG THIS HARD STARTING!- Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 03:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry DANG THIS HARD STARTING!- Please Help

OK fellas, here's the stumper.

When I got back from Chicago (truck sat for a week over Christmas), I didn't try to start the truck. It sat overnight unplugged.

Wouldn't you know it, we had below zero weather that night.

Next morning, I saw that it was unplugged and cycled the grids TWICE before trying to crank it. I cranked and cranked and it didn't start.

I cycled the heaters again and it didn't start.

I did it AGAIN, this time giving it a little pedal. It caught and started but ran REALLY rough @ about 300rpm and on 2 cylinders it seemed.

I nursed it for a minute or two, and when I let off the accelerator, it ran normally.

Ever since this one event happened, the truck has been hard to start if it has been sitting for any length of time-- even 30 minutes. I have to crank it and crank it-- hot or cold doesn't matter (engine temp OR outside temp).

It will fire instantly if I try to restart it immediately after shutdown. But if it sits a while (even though warm) it's hard to start. I have to really crank it in the morning, too, even though it has been plugged in!

Fuel pressure is normal. I get 2-5 before starting (when cold). It idles at 14 cold, 17 warm. WOT is about 8psi. I believe my lift pump is good.

There are NO codes being thrown.

Truck seems to have less power.

I have NOT tapped the wire. Truck only has 24K miles!

I am open to any and all suggestions. I am changing the Fuel Filter this afternoon-- it's been doing this for 2 weeks.

Justin
Old 01-13-2004, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try the battery's.............That's what it sounds like.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:41 PM

The truck is only a year old! And it seems to have plenty of juice to turn the engine over. It will crank the engine quickly with no sign of slowdown.

Voltage reading at the dash says I have a good 14.4-- but that's just alternator.

When it's not running, I get good voltage also....

Any other ideas?? I appreciate your help greatly.

Justin
Old 01-13-2004, 04:00 PM

Try some good fuel treatment. Drain a little bit of fuel out of the drain on the filter. Lots of times you get gelled fuel or a little water in the filter when the trucks cold and it will affect starting and performance for quite a while, your might try changing the filter as well. I understand you have good fuel pres. but it may still be affected
Old 01-13-2004, 04:07 PM

Thanks. I am going to drain the filter and check for water when I do the filter tonight. Curious if I'll see water. I also will dump a bunch of power service into it.

Justin
Old 01-13-2004, 04:11 PM

Justin,
Have you noticed a change in your boost or smoke habits besides what you noted? Let me know when you check it!
Old 01-13-2004, 04:30 PM

It does seem to smoke more than normal. Black smoke. No white smoke-- at least not any more than normal for a cold start in the winter.

Boost seems to be overall the same, as does EGT.

I don't get it!
Old 01-13-2004, 04:32 PM

Justin:

I have experienced the same thing - one hard start and kaapluhee (is that a word?!).

My batteries were the problem. I now plug in when it gets below 40f and have had no issues. I am also looking into fuel additives.

Keep us posted, please, and good luck!

Matt
Old 01-13-2004, 04:49 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gsdog1
[B]Justin:

I have experienced the same thing - one hard start and kaapluhee (is that a word?!).

My batteries were the problem. I now plug in when it gets below 40f and have had no issues. I am also looking into fuel additives.

He said it has NO problem cranking......This is NOT a battery problem. It sounds as if the Fuel pump is loosing it's prime...ie: The fuel is draining back, could be a check valve that is stuck open......I had one in an N14 Cummins, it had a rubber type plinger that would come closed when the fuel solenoid was shut off, but what happened was the owner got a bad tank of fuel, that had some water in it....when it froze it ripped the plunger and then under normal operating conditions when the truck was shut off the fuel would drain back from the pump......which in turn created alot of cranking to get it to start.......if it was left long enough it would'nt start at all......I beleave that your looseing the prime NOT the actual pressure once running........just my 2 cents......canucktrucks
Old 01-13-2004, 04:50 PM

Just a thought guys,
When i first bought my truck a few years back , i also had some other starting issues concerning the battery. Just keep in mind when you go to start, even once the truck has fired the relays kick on and off for the grids, the grids use a LOT of power. Check all your cables and wires on the batterys before you go to replace! I had a ground burn up when the heater kicked after the truck started. Also check for shorts on the intake where the grid wires connect . It may seem silly but one bad ground can affect the complete performance of the truck , check fuel heater wire and the fuel heater screen . But your battery problems should affect warm performance. I've always been taught that on a cold morning to much strain on a battery could damage or affect it for more than a month.

sorry for a second post just had some more thoughts
Old 01-13-2004, 04:55 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by canucktrucks
[B]
Originally posted by gsdog1
Justin:
I had one in an N14 Cummins, it had a rubber type plinger that would come closed when the fuel solenoid was shut off, but what happened was the owner got a bad tank of fuel, that had some water in it....when it froze it ripped the plunger and then under normal operating conditions when the truck was shut off the fuel would drain back from the pump......which in turn created alot of cranking to get it to start.......if it was left long enough it would'nt start at all......I beleave that your looseing the prime NOT the actual pressure once running........just my 2 cents......canucktrucks
CanuckTrucks,
It's not fun priming a Big motor, Specially when its ...lets say 1-12 Deg F, Is it? Or priming it after it looses all its fuel....yeish, you'll thank God for a little truck every day after that experince, froze fuel coverd coveralls dont stop the cold. I was just going to throw in the thought, check your other things like the filters and stuff before going to tear out return lines and plungers.
I learned my lesson with that.... the VERY Hard way lol
Old 01-13-2004, 05:00 PM

Thanks again fellas for all the posts. I will report back tomorrow (or tonight) what I find.

Justin
Old 01-13-2004, 05:03 PM

Angry Get her DOOONNNEEE !!!!

Yep your rite....thats why this thing keeps starting for him...THE TRANSFER PUMP.....He just cant get it to stay there....Also think about this.....I dont know what these Electric pumps are like...But have you ever tried getting air in a big truck....and then starting it WITHOUT BLEEDING the INJECTORS ??? It wont run.......Unless you are an animal and start it on EITHER ....I'm just wondering if when he opens the throttle,....Does that allow the transfer pump to disipate some of the fuel and air in the line ???? This would be a good question for one of the guys on here that are VERY familer with this pump...
Old 01-13-2004, 05:06 PM

Good Question ,
I could tell you more on a 12 V Lift Pump..... Wonder if i could interchange them *evil Thoughts*
lol
Old 01-13-2004, 06:22 PM

canucktrucks

Yes, I read all the posts, but was just trying to post my experiences. Good day.

Justin

Keep us posted please. I am interested to see what you find out.

Matt

Quick Reply: DANG THIS HARD STARTING!- Please Help