24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cruise Control Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise Control Problems

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if there was anyone that has had the Dodge cruise control TSB done to their trucks (TSB 18-08-99). The TSB covers a problem that was discovered in the 1999 model year where the cruise control misbehaved, to quote the TSB; "Some customers may complain that their vehicle speed control system may be too busy or drift more than 2 mph below or above the initial vehicle set speed. Vehicle load and road / terrain conditions may impact this issue." I've been having similar or worse problems where the truck will be off by at least 2 mph or may even forget to speed up or slow down all together.

Talking to one of the local dealers they suggested that the servo was not the likely culprit since they see very few (if any) servos fail, and they suggested there may be a vacuum problem. The vacuum hoses look good, but I have not tested for vacuum level which I'll do some time this weekend.

Has anyone dealt with this sort of problem before or had this TSB done?

Don
Old 02-09-2007, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the vacuum hose where it runs under the battery. I've heard this is a common place for leaks to develop.

I have no firsthand experience with it, my '02s cruise is totally electronic.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:07 PM

The following is follow-up to my original post. The solution to my problem was to replace the cruise control servo unit. The unit contains three valves the are ported into the vacuum diaphragm. One valve connects to the vacuum source another dumps the vacuum when the break goes on and a third is used by the computer to gradually reduce the diaphragm vacuum. Well apparently the third valve on my unit began to stick closed and the computer couldn't back the throttle off. Once I replaced the unit the system work correctly.

Again the original problem was that the control system would not back the throttle off once it was increase to go up a hill. I would have to hit the cancel button or the coast button numerous times. The solution was to replace the vacuum servo.

Hope this helps someone.

Don
Old 02-20-2007, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by ke5se

Again the original problem was that the control system would not back the throttle off once it was increase to go up a hill. I would have to hit the cancel button or the coast button numerous times. The solution was to replace the vacuum servo.

Hope this helps someone.

Don
I have the same symptoms on my truck, how much did the servo cost you?