24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

crankcase vent into exhaust?

Old 08-05-2011, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crankcase vent into exhaust?

i am sick of the oil drops on my driveway and sidewalk at my house. i have been trying to think of and search for a new method to make the crankcase vent more maintenance free and clean.

i know i can just put a bottle on the end of the extended hose . . . but would like to at least entertain the idea of something else.

i have tried the peak diesel kit with no luck as well.

what about plumbing somewhere into the exhaust system? drill a hole, weld a nut, then tighten in a barbed fitting to accept the 3/4" hose from the crankcase vent?

would the exhaust pressures be greater that the vent pressures at anytime throughout the RPM band? or would the exhaust create too much suction on the crankcae vent at any time in the RPM band?

would it be better to go closer to the turbo to ensure it burns off, or closer to the tailpipe where it is closer to atmospheric pressures?

anything else i would need to think of here?

i have searched without much luck - just an old thread with little info, no pics, and pertains to an older 12V

thanx in advance!
jason
Old 08-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember when a guy I knew from Washington, Dee put that into his 12V. He made the tube protrude into the exhaust a little facing back so it would create some vacuum. From what I remember it didn't work as planned. Got gummed up and under high load would blow back into the engine.

You tried the vent kit from PEAK? I was looking at that too as my driveway is pretty ugly from the drip tube, but the $200 scared me off.

The industrial engines have systems that use boost air and a venturi to control crankcase pressure. Any that have it into the exhaust have problems in the winter with condensation and freeze off.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:17 PM

I know for race engines to releave crank case pressure to free up HP, you have an open breather filter on the front of the valve cover, the back side has the filter with a hose to a one way check valve that is screwed into a pipe with a 45* end weld in about 45* at the collector of the headers. I'm sure a place like Summitracing or Jegs will carry them.

I'm not sure how well it will work keeping the oil from dripping since you're really changing the location from the engine to out the tail pipe.

Good luck!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:24 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Cummins sells a kit to route it back into the oil pan, I read it on here somewhere.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:09 PM

I made a " puke " bottle out of 2" pvc - about 18" long with a small filter on top and a peacock drain on the bottom - mounted it to the chassis under the radiator. No more drips and a clean radiator.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Doj Dewd
i am sick of the oil drops on my driveway and sidewalk at my house. i have been trying to think of and search for a new method to make the crankcase vent more maintenance free and clean.

i know i can just put a bottle on the end of the extended hose . . . but would like to at least entertain the idea of something else.

i have tried the peak diesel kit with no luck as well.

what about plumbing somewhere into the exhaust system? drill a hole, weld a nut, then tighten in a barbed fitting to accept the 3/4" hose from the crankcase vent?

would the exhaust pressures be greater that the vent pressures at anytime throughout the RPM band? or would the exhaust create too much suction on the crankcae vent at any time in the RPM band?

would it be better to go closer to the turbo to ensure it burns off, or closer to the tailpipe where it is closer to atmospheric pressures?

anything else i would need to think of here?

i have searched without much luck - just an old thread with little info, no pics, and pertains to an older 12V

thanx in advance!
jason
---------------
Jason:

Try P.M.'ing DTR Member BC847 who goes by the first name David. He owns a 1993 Dodge CTD First Gen which is pretty well modified and he has a system on his truck like you describe. He is a good guy and has some file pictures you can look at.

--------
John_P