24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Leak

Hello again,

While checking my oil recently I noticed a coolant leak on the front of my motor. At first I thought it was the water pump, however the coolant was coming from the side of the engine somewhere in-between the water pump and where the coolant hose connects to the top of the motor. I have fears that it may be a head gasket leak. My fears are further confirmed by my theory of: idle/high idle=no leak under load(boost)=leak. I would be happy to hear that it may be anything else. Common problems I havent heard of????? Any help is appreciated. I have to drive 1200 miles loaded over the next few days, I plan to keep stopping and topping off the fluid.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are some engines that like to develop a leak under the thermostat housing or above the oil cooler at the head gasket. My 01 has been dry without any leaks, however a friends 01 sprung coolant leak in this area. He ran it and checked the antifreeze every few days.. I had him bring his truck over for the weekend so I could pull the head and pop a new gasket in.. sure enough when I checked it out the leak has dropped and has been completely dry forthe past 4 months or so..?? This is the first time I have ever seen a head gasket reseal itself... The job is a little scary the first time, there are a few write ups floating around. I usually have the head checked and decked if needed and only use genuine Cummins gaskets..
If you don't feel comfortable doing the job youself, check with a diesel shop or Cummins.