24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

coolant leak '01 ctd

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy coolant leak '01 ctd

well i got a coolant leak recently. i have leaked about a gallon and a half in two weeks. it seems to be leaking on the passenger side and coolant is on the radiator, front of the block, belt etc. no visible leaks from the top. overflow is empty. i had been running cardboard and thought it over heated. well that apparently isnt the case. the reason i noticed it was the belt started sqeaking badly at take off. coolant on belt!

i went out tonight to see if i have the dreded "53" block. i cant find the #. but i didnt get under the truck. 71,000 mi on it. hope not. that # 53 is a bummer of a deal.

i searched around and found some interesting info on it. just not particuraly my symptoms. what do you guys think?

i install garage doors and door openers. com/res. so i tow a 20' trailer all the time. not a big deal for a ctd but i do love the truck.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:08 AM

I would get under the truck and check for the 53...I have an 01 and its got the 53. May be on either side. Numbers are about an inch high and are cast into the block and will be right above the oil pan. Hard to miss if you are under the truck.

If it is the block...it will be heaking on the passenger side, just under the head....you should be able to see it....do a search once they turn the "search" feature back on....
Old 02-01-2005, 01:12 AM

yeah i read enough about the 53 block. i will check in the am. this coolant leak is making lose some sleep tonight. lol. oh well.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:56 AM

I was of the impression there is a "tell tale" on the coolant pump to indicate leaking seal(s). It would be under the pulley.

Maybe it's dripping from there and getting thrown off the belt.

With engine off, reach down and feel around underside of the pump to see if it's wet.

Good luck
Old 02-01-2005, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the overflow bottle is empty, I think that might rule out some head gasket troubles. I concur with the others on the water pump, but look for threads from HID about other head gasket leak areas. I think there is a possible spot under the T-stat area.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:12 PM

thank you for the replies. i love this place, except it just makes me want to spend more $ on my truck everytime i visit here. lol

today i kept checking it and decided to take it to my local cummins dealer. novi mi. i did a couple of stops on the way and at one of them it was really steamin so i checked under the hood and there was rust colored water/gunk all over the battery, hood, front of the block etc. i really think it is a bad water pump. so i made it over to cummins and bought a new water pump and some anti freeze and a new fuel filter. gonna replace it in the am. after inspecting the new pump, i now see where the weep hole is located and am comfortable in my decision to replace it. all together it was $170 for everything. i will just be happy to be back on the road and running hard! have a great day! Darrin

btw, i asked the parts guy if he ever heard anything about the 53 blocks and he said no. i told him that is what i was told you would say. he laughed and asked me where i got the info. it was left as he is skeptical of it.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:45 PM

OUTDOORSMAN,

Theres some very good #53 info that can be found on this page:

http://www.stamey.nu/Truck/Cummins53BlockFAQ.htm

Glad you resolved your problem.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:11 PM

i replaced the water pump this morning and things are all better. the old one was obviously bad, plenty of play in it.

i looked for the #53 on the side of my block and only found the # 48 (o)? or (c)? not sure if it is 480 or 48c. there is another spot about 5 in above this one with the letter m and the rest i cannot make out. stuff in the way. lol. i found the 48? # on the drivers side on the front section of the block that you can see by the power steering pump. from under the truck.

thanks for the replies. i do appreciate it.