24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

cold weather sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cold weather sputtering

was up near the canadian border this past weekend at my girlfriends college temp was around -5 F. i needed to run up to the store. went to go start my truck and it didnt want to start but it sounded just like a cold weather start no problems that i could tell. i sat there for a few minutes while it did its high idle cylinder cut-out routine, and then went on my way. i noticed in my side view mirror that the exhaust was like a think white under acceleration and two miles up the road it started to spit and sputter i went up the road to get out of traffic pulled over and threw in both a whole white and red bottle of power service thinking the fuel was starting to gel (since its been cold ive been putting in white power service in at fill up) i sat for about 30 min and the whole time it would spit and sputter at anything over an idle. i limped it back in a 2nd gear idle to the college and parked it, grabbed my girls jeep and went to the store (letting my truck idle the whole time) came back and went to my truck it didnt spit and sputter but it would not go above 23-2400 RPM's, i figured the additive was making its way threw the system and just needed more time. i sat for another 5 min and then turned it off. went out the next morning and it started right up went into its warm-up routine and i let it sit for an hour to allow things to warm up since it was so cold. came back down and it was at temp (190) i threw my things in it and drove 3hrs. back to my house with out so much of a skip or hint of white smoke. once home i let it cool down and then plugged it in. now this morning i go out and start it up with out any problems (-4.5 F outside) go back inside to get my coffee (while leaving it still plugged in) 10 min later i come back out and notice the white smoke again. and before anyone says the white smoke is normal, i am aware of that but its alot thicker and dense then the normal white haze. especialy since it had been plugged in i figured it cant possibly be gelling up again since i have 110+ gals worth of white power service additive in it and a whole thing of 911 as well (tank is a hair over half at this point). i jump in and go down the road. not even 1 mile down the mountian. it does the same thing as it did over the weekend spitting and sputtering alot of really dense white smoke but at an idle its fine. i limp it back home in an idle again, and now i have it outside warming up with it plugged in. the only codes were P0500 (speed sensor) and P1693 (something dectected in the ECM or PCM) im getting the FASS filters today to swap them over. i cant figure out what the problem is since in between the two events it ran like a top getting 24+ MPG for 3 hours with out so much as a hicup. it cant be jelly fuel with as much additive as i have in there. and i can here the FASS running and recycling the fuel threw the filler tube. any ideas if the codes would affect the truck in this manor? the P0500 is a new 1 and will look into it today but, the P1693 has been there since i got the truck and has always run awesome. im not sure what the problem is so if anyone has any ideas please throw them out to me!
Old 01-26-2009, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cold weather

As you say about white smoke as I know it it is normally visible colder then -19*C. Might your fuel be of a heavier weight? Your engine temp was it normal? Could you engine have been struggling to keep warm in those temps? I always had the 1693 code with my truck. In the colder temps I use the baler belting for restriction in front of the rad to reduce the air flow. What was the sound difference running it at those temps? Something I have never had to deal with is water in the fuel, is yours dry?
Old 01-26-2009, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by neveragain
As you say about white smoke as I know it it is normally visible colder then -19*C. Might your fuel be of a heavier weight? Your engine temp was it normal? Could you engine have been struggling to keep warm in those temps? I always had the 1693 code with my truck. In the colder temps I use the baler belting for restriction in front of the rad to reduce the air flow. What was the sound difference running it at those temps? Something I have never had to deal with is water in the fuel, is yours dry?
i dont know how my fuel could be of a heavier weight, always get it from the same place never had a problem. i have a heavy cardboard over 90% of the radiator to help the temp come up. it came up to about 170 degrees trying to limp it back and still didnt work its self out but if it runs awhile at 170-190 its fine, its out in the drive running fine now..... its throwing a fit when its cold tho, and it never did before.... was fine at -15F not to long ago while i was up north. and it only does it after you drive a mile or two at below 140 degrees. and it sounds fine before it does it and has plenty of power for how much white smoke it has. i dont think its a fuel problem now with all the additve i have in it and the fact it ran like a champ for 3 hrs after the first time on the same fuel. the datastream i looked at on the snap-on computer while the truck is running says all the sensors are working and are reading numbers that make sense to me. even the speed sensor which i have a code for seems to be working fine. im starting to think the VP44 may be a little fritzy and be tempature sensative... or even the PCM/ECM may not be sending good signals
Old 01-26-2009, 11:33 AM

Whats your fuel pressure like?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:42 PM

gauge says the pressure is good around 16PSI but next time it acts up ill put another mechanical gauge on and check it.