24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cold Temp Warm Up Program

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Temp Warm Up Program

A couple of weeks ago I had a dealer in California suposably program the cold start warm up program for my truck (ramp up to 1200 rpm if below 32 deg. and run only 3 cyl. if below 15 deg.) they charged me 80 dollars and said it was done. I am back home in UT now and the last couple of days it has been well below freezing and I did not notice any rmp change. So I just took it into the dealer and they said that the 1200 rpm idle only works with automatics not manual and that the 3 cyl. shutdown will work but they checked the program and said that it was not even activated. So they said they activated it now. My question is this. . . So what exactly did the other dealer do that he charged me $80 for and is it true that the high idle is not available for manuals?

jaredolsen
Old 11-28-2005, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JaredOlsen
My question is this. . . So what exactly did the other dealer do that he charged me $80 for
They just forgot to check the "yes" box to activate it.

2000 and older needed to have the ECM updated to include the high idle program, but 2001's and newer already have it in there, it just needs to be activated.

I tried 3 times, and finally they remembered to check the box to activate it.
I left it unplugged overnight on purpose soon after the 3rd time, and it did indeed ramp up the idle.
I haven't seen the 3 cyl cutoff yet, but it really didn't get that cold last year.

I have yet to see it go into high idle after having it plugged in for 3 hours before I start it in the morning.
I think I'll see it tomorrow night though, after being parked at Trax for 11 hours.

phox
Old 11-28-2005, 11:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3cyl cutout....sounds like a box of rocks.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:17 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

what would even be the benift of it running on three cylinder edit that cant even sound good i think it would be a excess wear on major drive train parts too? can you have the high idel set on the 01 manuals or is it just the autos the truck can be plugged in at home in the shop but it would be nice to have that feature for when the trucks been sitting for 9hrs while at work.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:24 AM

cutting out 3 cylinders loads the other three, making the engine warm up faster. In 16* weather the engine is slow to warm up. cut out is disengaged when throttle is taken off idle
Old 11-29-2005, 08:12 AM

So there is no way to get this on a manual???

If there is who is ther in the Idaho area to set the high idle feature???

Believe it or not my dealer won't do it...
Old 11-29-2005, 12:08 PM

Does anyone out there have this program with a manual and does the hight idle work with it?
Old 11-29-2005, 01:00 PM

Mine Works perfectand I have a six speed. Just worked yesterday morrning. I have not had the tree cylinder bit work yet, just not cold enough.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:42 PM
Banned

You'd be better off buying a mechanical high idler kit($50), and that way YOU can control when you want it on, and how long, and how fast, it's much more versatile than factory hi-idler. I use mine lots in the winter, wouldn't be without it, sounds much better roaring on 6 cylinders.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:03 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by Mopar1973man
So there is no way to get this on a manual???

If there is who is ther in the Idaho area to set the high idle feature???

Believe it or not my dealer won't do it...
I was looking at this thing. It started at $75.00, I counted myself out once it was over $100.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Not sure if it will work on the manuals either, but it sparked my interest. I was thinking I would wire it up into the ash try. It has to be like some kind of variable speed controller, right? Couldn't be too complex?
I like the user controlled idea, I might wan't to fast idle at 34* too.
EDIT

Heres the same one, looks like I better measure up a stick!
http://www.usdieselparts.com/moreinf...oduct_ID=74231
Old 11-29-2005, 06:19 PM

The high idle works just fine on the sticks. He was blowing smoke. Turn on the exhaust brake and have the high idle ramp up ... That warms it up real fast!
Old 11-29-2005, 07:00 PM

How is this program setup? Is it done with a tuner of sorts? Something most dealers or Cummins shops should be able to do? Would like to have mine setup, or purchase an aftermarket as someone previously mentioned.

T
Old 11-29-2005, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Price_Dog
How is this program setup? Is it done with a tuner of sorts? Something most dealers or Cummins shops should be able to do? Would like to have mine setup, or purchase an aftermarket as someone previously mentioned.

T
The dealer has to enable it in the ecm. The earlier trucks need to have the ecm flashed to add the software and then enabled it.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:33 PM
Banned

You can also purchase a hi-idler kit from Harold Browers(sorry can't find his #I bought mine from him), maybe someone will post his phone #, it's a great kit for about $50usd. The advantage of this is that you can turn it on anytime you want it, even when engine is warm(to keep it warm)when running in somewhere, or waiting in truck for wife .

Whereas factory hi-idle only works when engine is cold(32f)or colder(among other requirements), and 3cyl run only if temp is (15f)or cooler. There is a TSB#18-019-01, which was done on mine for free, but I still like Harolds setup better, as I said previously it's more versatile in it's use.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by P.J
I was looking at this thing. It started at $75.00, I counted myself out once it was over $100.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Not sure if it will work on the manuals either, but it sparked my interest. I was thinking I would wire it up into the ash try. It has to be like some kind of variable speed controller, right? Couldn't be too complex?
I like the user controlled idea, I might wan't to fast idle at 34* too.
EDIT

Heres the same one, looks like I better measure up a stick!
http://www.usdieselparts.com/moreinf...oduct_ID=74231
That auction ended at almost the same as retail!? Anyway, that's the one I have. It connects to the APPS under the hood, then just controls the voltage to change the idle. It's really pretty slick, but I'll admit there's no way in the world I'd pay $200 for one when my little $5 Barjan throttle stick worked just fine. I just happened to pick one up for $50 from a guy who sold his truck, and at that price it's a slick gadget.

Quick Reply: Cold Temp Warm Up Program