24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Code P1689 help....

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code P1689 help....

P1689 code (no communication between ECM and injection pump module) When I accelerate the engine will cut out and then rev back up again and cut out and rev again and doing this every 2-3 seconds. It will take 2 miles to get up to 40 mph.

Now, I have a new vp44 about 4 weeks ago.
I have an upgraded LP and great pressure.
I talked with a service guy at Southeastern Power Systems and he gave me some printouts on trouble shooting for this code and I did all the test and it leads to "replace the ECM" Now I find it hard to believe. Could it be a bad ECM?
Could it be a bad vp44, even though it was purchased a month ago (its a remanufactured unit).
The wiring trouble shooting passed.
Any help would be great.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:59 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it still do it after you cleared the codes. I had a bad EZ box that caused mine to go into limp mode and set the same codes. Removed the EZ, erased the codes, and all is well.....at least for now.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:23 PM

This is interesting, since I'm fighting the same problem right now.

I just replaced the lift pump yesterday with no improvement.

Now, a couple gurus have told me it's very likely the VP44.

I did try one thing this afternoon on a lark: I unplugged my EZ completely and whether it be entirely coincidental (who knows), none of the symptoms were present. Tried several runs... no symptoms.

My symptoms span everything from lopey idle to rough, bouncing idle, to dead pedal, to complete stall out.

Trouble is that right now, it's quite inconsistent - it can go for days or weeks without a hitch, so it's hard to definitively say it is or it ins't the EZ box.

I'm going to have to put a new VP in there, because I am going to need the truck to be ultra reliable next week for a trip.

Last thing I need is to have the same problem after it's replaced like you.

I would try unplugging the EZ though.... I had one die on me two years ago.

Shawn
Old 06-17-2006, 09:53 PM

When I clear the code it comes right back every time. My truck is 100% stock except for silencer ring missing and heavy duty LP installed at the tank with larger fuel lines.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:26 AM
Chapter President

This is my 3rd EZ. They're great when they work, but none of the three have lasted a year. I sent the last one in and they said it tested good and sent it back.

The truck died on me one time on the highway. It didn't set any codes, but it didn't run very well until I disconnected the batteries and reset the APPS. A few days later, it started having a slight miss under light acceleration. I tried disconnecting and connecting the EZ a couple of time, and every time it would miss with the EZ. Drove over a hundred miles, city and highway so far without it, and no problems.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Muted User

my trucks in southeast powers shop right now getting a vp, lift pump, 275hp inj,and an in tank pump installed as my pickup fell aoart when we took it out to clean it. having a small fuel press issue where it drops off at times but only to 5 psi for a split second.

are ya happy with their work over there. they seem knowledgeable but im into em for bout 3 grand so far and im....SHOCKED...to say the least. hope it runs right when theyre done
Old 06-18-2006, 10:31 AM

Good info Crobtex. I am going out to unplug the ez and then go for a drive. This 1689 crap is frustrating, very irregular to say the least.

I have cleaned and greased all electrical conections, changed APPS with a known good one and still no changes..... gotta be the ez I HOPE.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:37 PM

Viesel,

The only thing I would suggest is to double check your connection to the VP44 make sure the sliding lock is completely locked, you may want to pull it off then back on.

You could also leave your batteries unplugged over night to reset everything, I have heard of this working before.

Next would be to talk to the company you bought your VP44 from and get a different one, then if you are still having problems look at the ECM.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:31 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Copenhagenjunkie
Good info Crobtex. I am going out to unplug the ez and then go for a drive. This 1689 crap is frustrating, very irregular to say the least.

I have cleaned and greased all electrical conections, changed APPS with a known good one and still no changes..... gotta be the ez I HOPE.
Hope it works for both of us.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:35 PM

I am going to do the battery disconnect tonight and see if that helps. If not I am taking the vp44 off and returning it for them to check. Thanks for the battery tip Ill try it.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by crobtex
Hope it works for both of us.

I hear ya...

Trouble is, this stupid P1689 code is so intermittant. I went 4 weeks without a hitch only to have it happen 3 times within 2 days after that, then back to good again.

I too just wish it would totally die altogether and be done with it.

I'm still running without my EZ to see what happens.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:29 PM

no go with the battery disconnect. still 1689ing.
next?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:07 AM
Chapter President

Well, not much help from Edge. They offered me a referb'd EZ for $220 or upgrade to a comp for $350. No deal.........I'm through with anything with the name Edge Products on it.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:10 AM
Chapter President

Well, not much help from Edge. They offered me a referb'd EZ for $220 or upgrade to a comp for $350. No deal.........I'm through with anything with the name Edge Products on it.
Let me rephrase that.....if the truck continues to run OK.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:44 AM

Let me rephrase that.....if the truck continues to run OK.
Recheck all off your connections on Edge I have been running Comp 4 yrs
no problems.

Quick Reply: Code P1689 help....