24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Blow bye

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blow bye

Hello The truck is a 2004 and has blow bye is it time for a rebuild??
80000 miles is to low. Could it be something else.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:55 PM

Location: Then, raised central PA; Now where ever Uncle Sam sends me.
More information please?

To get a better feed back on the matter you really need to let everyone know the different things done to the truck as well as done with the truck. Is it stock? Does it have power/performance mods? If the truck was hotrodded with excessive fueling or had major boost thrown at it plus nox. That quickens the rate that it will need rebuilt. If it has been ran in stock form then yes that is way early. What color is the smoke that could tell you more about the actual problem/problems also. I dont think you mentioned that at all... More information is defenately needed...
Ben
Old 12-21-2010, 01:16 PM

you may want to post this in the 3rd gen crowd. 2nd gen crowd could help but they should be able to better. can you even see blow by smoke on a 3rd gen. though it was a recyled system?
Old 12-21-2010, 05:02 PM

Blow Bye

Thanks It is a friends truck so i can't answer all.
I will have him get on the forum.
Thanks
Old 12-22-2010, 08:41 AM

Update the guy had the oil changed and somehow the dip stick was not CK and turns out it was 8 quarts low ***. Not good and he put on 200 miles.....
RIP.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:47 AM

Location: Then, raised central PA; Now where ever Uncle Sam sends me.
was it done by himself or a "friend"? If not I would be taking it right back to the place that did it...
Old 12-22-2010, 12:53 PM

Yep, they do take a little more than 5 quarts! The oil pressure gauge HAD to be Flat on zero! It is bad enough when people don't check the oil but when you don't look at the gauges either............well. Come to think of it the check engine light should have been on also. Yep, all mechanics have heard this one, "it is just a bad sensor, ignore it".
Seriously though, if it was done at a quick lube place then file a claim for a new engine.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:10 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
So what your friend is saying is that there was no blowby until this oil change and now there is? Your friend should also note that the Cummins is an open loop emissions engine until 2007. That means that the engines crank case simply vented into the atmosphere via a 3/4" hose coming off the front of the engine. I cant remember what years had vacuum pumps but if his truck has one then excessive blowby can mean a vacuum leak in the system whereby the vacuum pump is pumping more air than normal into the crank case and you see it coming out the vent hose.

Honestly, I'm sure nothings wrong with the engine as long as the oil pressure gauge was reading normal, no lights were flashing, and there was no strange noises. Yes thats a lot of missing oil but if the oil pump was still submerged then the engine was still getting lubrication. And..........I can guarantee that if the oil pump was not sucking oil then by no means would he have made it anywhere close to 200 miles. This is not a zMax commercial. So I'd advise him to check the oil and smell if its burnt or excessive in color while he changes it again and makes sure there's 11-12 quarts in there.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:23 PM

I would also send a sample to Blackstone labs for an analysis to determine if there is bearing or ring material in the oil. If not you are good to go.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by KATOOM
So what your friend is saying is that there was no blowby until this oil change and now there is? Your friend should also note that the Cummins is an open loop emissions engine until 2007. That means that the engines crank case simply vented into the atmosphere via a 3/4" hose coming off the front of the engine. I cant remember what years had vacuum pumps but if his truck has one then excessive blowby can mean a vacuum leak in the system whereby the vacuum pump is pumping more air than normal into the crank case and you see it coming out the vent hose.

Honestly, I'm sure nothings wrong with the engine as long as the oil pressure gauge was reading normal, no lights were flashing, and there was no strange noises. Yes thats a lot of missing oil but if the oil pump was still submerged then the engine was still getting lubrication. And..........I can guarantee that if the oil pump was not sucking oil then by no means would he have made it anywhere close to 200 miles. This is not a zMax commercial. So I'd advise him to check the oil and smell if its burnt or excessive in color while he changes it again and makes sure there's 11-12 quarts in there.
2nd that....

I think what he was saying is that he did an oil change....either himself or at a quick lube...drove for 200 miles, then noticed "blow by" then checked the dipstick and was 8 qts low...

if that is the case....

1. either he or someone else didnt put enough in...and your suggestions hold water, in that as long as the pump was submerged it circulated oil...he might be good to go.

or

2. That engine SWALLOWED A BIG MOUTHFULL OF OIL....in the span of 200 miles...which means there is something wrong.

NCA