24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Better Brakes Needed!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 04:36 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Better Brakes Needed!!!!!

I need some help guys..... We have a 1999 Ram 3500 2wd service truck here at work. It's daily weight is 10k. We keep eating through brakes crazy fast. This last set lasted 4 months. We've tryed CarQuest premiums and Napa premiums. We've even replaced the rotors the last two times, which means we've replaced them twice within one year. The calipers were replaced one brake job ago. Are there better, longer lasting brakes available? Do you think we may have problems with the mastercylinder, proportioning valve or maybe even the ABS system?

EDIT: It's not so much that we're going through the pads, but the rotors are getting warped really fast. After 4 months, when you apply the brakes, the whole truck shakes violently. It's almost like death wobble, but when replace the rotors, everything is fine.......for awhile.....
Old 04-16-2008, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JPR Ram
I need some help guys..... We have a 1999 Ram 3500 2wd service truck here at work. It's daily weight is 10k. We keep eating through brakes crazy fast. This last set lasted 4 months. We've tryed CarQuest premiums and Napa premiums. We've even replaced the rotors the last two times, which means we've replaced them twice within one year. The calipers were replaced one brake job ago. Are there better, longer lasting brakes available? Do you think we may have problems with the mastercylinder, proportioning valve or maybe even the ABS system?

EDIT: It's not so much that we're going through the pads, but the rotors are getting warped really fast. After 4 months, when you apply the brakes, the whole truck shakes violently. It's almost like death wobble, but when replace the rotors, everything is fine.......for awhile.....
you sure that the back brakes are doing their job? Do a search for putting chevy cylinders in the back - they are apparently 30mm and do a way better job. there are even the part numbers if you search.

sounds like your front brakes are really doing all of the work and the heat is killing your rotors.

There are also some threads about changing the length of the rod which adjust the pressure to the back brakes depending on the load.... sounds like you have the load, but the rear brakes are just not doing their job. Bet they look just fine......
Old 04-16-2008, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
I am willing to bet that when the rotors get replaced that the lug nuts are not being torqued properly. Uneven torquing causes the rotors to warp due to the uneven rotational forces involed when the tires rotate. Braking only amplifies the problem because now you are throwing heat in the mix along with more uneven rotational forces.

Either have the rotors turned or replace them outright. When I did mine last fall, I used a set of high quality Brembro rotors, and when I reinstalled the tires, I made sure to only tighten the lug nuts with a torque wrench.

I bought my new rotors and pads from the Tire Rack. I bought 2 sets of rotors and pads for the front and it came to around $225 delivered to my door.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:42 PM

Are you having the same wear rate on rear drums? If they not wearing out they not doing anything.
Trucks are notoriious for not keeping rear brakes adequatelly adjusted. End result is fronts wear premature.
it gets more complicated. The 275 tires reduce the effectiveness of brakes. Truck moves futher in one rev of tire, equals more pressure to stop.
You did not mention miles driven in 4 months. With a 10K weight to stop and agressive stoping habits, you are giving brakes a work out.
Is vehicle used as a service vehicle and driven all day around town? The warped rotors are indicative of extreme heavy use on a continuing pattern.
There are different heavy duty pads made of ceramics or kelvar plastic. They might give slight edge. Don't know about drilled or slotted rotors for any real improvement. Doubt it in your application.
Obversation from sig: Truck has more accel potential than stopping ability as redesigned. JMO
Old 04-16-2008, 10:00 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Originally Posted by dozer12216
Are you having the same wear rate on rear drums? If they not wearing out they not doing anything.
Trucks are notoriious for not keeping rear brakes adequatelly adjusted. End result is fronts wear premature.
it gets more complicated. The 275 tires reduce the effectiveness of brakes. Truck moves futher in one rev of tire, equals more pressure to stop.
You did not mention miles driven in 4 months. With a 10K weight to stop and agressive stoping habits, you are giving brakes a work out.
Is vehicle used as a service vehicle and driven all day around town? The warped rotors are indicative of extreme heavy use on a continuing pattern.
There are different heavy duty pads made of ceramics or kelvar plastic. They might give slight edge. Don't know about drilled or slotted rotors for any real improvement. Doubt it in your application.
Obversation from sig: Truck has more accel potential than stopping ability as redesigned. JMO

Thanks for the replies so far guys. And no, the truck in question is not the one in my sig. The one in question is completely stock, except for the service bed, air compressor, welder, gas bottles. tools, etc, ect, etc.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:53 AM

O'K, it's a service truck driven daily around town. No mention of rear brake issues so assume they not wearing out. There was a post about going to 30 MM rear wheel cyls. Several users indicate some improvement with cyl change. You have to get some of load off front brakes to make them live. Rear brake adjusters are miserable at keeping up with wear. Adjust at every oil change is required on heavy use vehicles. Keep other comments in mind for their potential.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:32 PM

Ok, thanks for the info guys. I did a search on those 30mm Chevy brake cylinders and found lots of reading. Afterwards, we called NAPA and had them send over a set. Don't you just love delivery service???? Anyways, there's a big difference in stopping ability. Stronger, quicker stops. Now we'll see if our front brake rotors last longer.

In fact I'm calling NAPA here in an hour or so and having them bring another set for my truck.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:09 PM

Careful. The 30mm items address a heavy load situation. ABS must be working.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:25 PM

Well, I think the service truck at 10K falls into the heavy load catagory. But are you saying that 30mm wheel cyliders wouldn't be a good choice for my 2500?