24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Best route to get at the LP??

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best route to get at the LP??

For those of you that replace your own LP's did you pull the drivers side front fender well to get to it? It is kind of up in there a ways and I am wondering what the best way to get at it is?
Old 09-21-2006, 09:37 PM

From the top!. You need a 17mm gear wrench for the line only undo the front line and leave the line attached to the pump the the fuel supply line hooks to. I use a 13mm swivel socket with a long extension to undo the three nuts then a 10mm swivel on the same extension to undo the isolator brackect bolt for the one hard line. Then pull the whole assembly out
Old 09-22-2006, 09:48 AM

unhook the connector on the bottom with the wires first. You will have to have three hands to do it after you pull the bolts out.
I pulled the IC tube out of the way anf cleared up lots of work room like that.
Pretty simple job.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:34 AM

Remove the filter housing and you'll have lots of room to work on the LP. It just takes a couple of bolts and loosening the lines. Hopefully, you'll be replacing the filter anyway.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
On mine I pulled the fuel water seperator out of the truck and got really good access to the pump. Also gave me a chance to really clean out the fuel water seperator real good too.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by piperca
Remove the filter housing and you'll have lots of room to work on the LP. It just takes a couple of bolts and loosening the lines. Hopefully, you'll be replacing the filter anyway.
Changed it Wednesday when I first noticed the lower pressure.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:06 PM
JIT

I went through the driver side and removed the inner fender it was about 30min job. Dealer told me it would take me 2 hours since I had never done it before. Maybe I should have filled out an application while I was there!!!
Old 09-27-2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by JIT
I went through the driver side and removed the inner fender it was about 30min job. Dealer told me it would take me 2 hours since I had never done it before. Maybe I should have filled out an application while I was there!!!
I went from the top and it was a PITA!! Seemed I was working blind a lot of the time. Next go around I am going to go through the fender skirt. THat should give a dirrect shot to the pump.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:22 PM

I went in from the top, piece of cake; I guess I have small hands. It took about 15 minutes, at most. No need to remove the fuel filter, fender skirt or anything. Just get on top of a stool and reach in around the master cylinder, you’ll only have the use of one hand, but that’s good enough. Had to change the lift pump on my 12-valve, because it had a small leak, now that was a PITA, big time! Took me the whole day, however I wish the 24-valve pumps, were as solid as the 12-valve pumps.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:46 AM
Banned

i alway go in thru the top. finally got my cam"pain" pump today. finally after a year of a stupid light on the dash! took me about 15 minits not counting smoke/beer breaks and phone calls!

but now im @ 27 idle and could not for the life of me get it below 25psi wot.
wish i had got the second pump sooner. seems to have a little better on the top end when getting close to 3K rpm`s
Old 09-28-2006, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by H2SRDMB
i alway go in thru the top. finally got my cam"pain" pump today. finally after a year of a stupid light on the dash! took me about 15 minits not counting smoke/beer breaks and phone calls!

but now im @ 27 idle and could not for the life of me get it below 25psi wot.
wish i had got the second pump sooner. seems to have a little better on the top end when getting close to 3K rpm`s
You’re getting 27psi at idle, with just one Campaign pump!
I just put mine in, and I’m getting 14psi at idle.
Or did you install the second pump as a pusher in the frame? So then you have two Campaign pumps?
Old 09-30-2006, 05:17 AM

Question

I had already installed the vulcan kit and gages after Dodge replaced the lp with an intank pump. At that time I had 11 @ idle 8.5 at WOT. This week those press. dropped by 1psi and filter change did not help. Today i installed the carter pump i had already bought from cummins on the frame rail. Now working in conjuction with intank pump, I see 25 at idle, 23 WOT. Looks like the best solution, even though those numbers seem high compared to what i read from others, they must be correct.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:21 AM

If you want to use the carter Lift Pump, you should really look at the vulcan system to relocate your lift pump near the fuel tank. I did that when Dodge replaced my vp44 under warranty. I talked them out of installing the in-tank lift pump. Installing the kit took about a hour. I replaced my lift pump 2 weeks ago and it took me about 5 minutes. The kit elimantes the banjo fittings and replaces the small factory fuel lines with 1/2" fuel lines. With a good lift pump, I am at 15 idle and 12 WOT.

If you keep the lift pump in the stock location, remove the fuel filter (2 bolts on the top) and you will have lots of room for the lift pump. You should have it removed and replaced in about 30 minutes. Make sure you use di-electric lube on the power connector so it does not get wet or dirty.

HTHs,

Joe
Old 09-30-2006, 01:48 PM

Okay,I've done a couple and I've found that the best way to do it is climb right in there and put both knees on the valve covers and execute a headstand on the drivers fender,thereby letty you see,and get a wrench on the stuff needed.
It also gives ppl a chance to get a picture of you with your Higher than your head
Old 10-01-2006, 06:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick Reply: Best route to get at the LP??