24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Beat The Chev Now I'm Knocking!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Beat The Chev Now I'm Knocking!!!

I was smoking a Durmax on the highway and in the joy of the win, my EGT's hit 1300 for a couple of minutes(eyes not on the guages)... Now my 24 Valve sounds terrible. I have a horrible knock. What did my dumb edit do to my engine??? It is very loud cruising, idling, excelerating and especially on shut down!!! What to do????
Old 07-14-2006, 09:22 PM
Registered

humm, 1300 degrees isnt bad. ive had mine well over 1600 and i have had no problems.

now to what you did to your engine - humm, well thats a good question. sorry im no help
Old 07-14-2006, 09:23 PM

Oops...

I hope it turns out to be something dumb.
Where does the majority of the noise seem to be comming from?

To be Honest I doubt you hurt anything (fingers crossed), 1300 is hot but not that hot.

Do a little checking around under the hood and get back to us.

Maybe you have a couple broken rockers?

Just fishin here, I'm sure someone will jump in and give you some ideas.

dan
Old 07-14-2006, 09:43 PM

I was at some high RPM for the duration. I shouldn't have raced him but he was giving me many reasons to woop his duramax. Everything looks normal under the hood.. Jast wondering if I melted something and how to easily test this theory??? Truck runs good exept for the loud, eye catching knock. I hope it is only rocker's...
Old 07-14-2006, 10:30 PM

hows the blowby? does the kock change with RPM? I would quickly find another mode of transportation tell you find out what is wrong as it sounds like you scored a cylinder. oh nad just cause you didn't have a EGT problem dosent mean you can't score a cylinder I have seen pluged/failed cooling nozzles do this as well cause the piston doesen't get the oil need to cool it Sorry about the news but load nocking is never good
Old 07-14-2006, 10:51 PM

a buddy of mine had a similar problem in his 97' 12-v, ended up being a spun bearing, he kept telling me the valves needed to be adjusted I asked him when they started putting valves in the oilpan, cuz you could tell the knock was from down low, truck ran perfect though good oil pressure, no change in boost, egt's, water temps, just a loud knock, hope it's something simple, try cracking each injector line one by one with the engine running, sometimes a knocking injector will seem like something much worse, if you find an injector that doesn't change the sound of the motor or make it stumble/knock worse then you may have an injector problem, good luck & keep us posted, Dusty
Old 07-14-2006, 11:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is one cylinder or more it could be a dropped valve seat fixing my 03 cuz of that it knocked when it happened pull your valve cover off and look at the vavles one will be higher then the other 3 in the cylinder. the more you drive the worse you will do to it. mine ran for 5min total maybe and it gouged the wall pretty good. also if its a vavle problem it will lope when you crank it
Old 07-15-2006, 12:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dusty Ratcliff
if you find an injector that doesn't change the sound of the motor or make it stumble/knock worse then you may have an injector problem, good luck & keep us posted, Dusty
what he said!
a buddy of mine cracked a few injectors, made a bad bad sound!

loosen the lines and try finding the one that doesnt change the sound of the knocking!
Old 07-15-2006, 03:14 AM

first things first, check your oil level. these engines are very noisey with little or no oil. don't ask me how I know this.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Round yourself up an oil anaylis kit and pull a sample and send it out. If you wiped a bearing or a piston is should show up in the oil.

And who ever said get another ride is right, no sense doing more damage than is already done.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:37 PM

Just changed the oil and I didn't see anything unusual. The thick new oil made it a little quieter but it is still there. Does anyone know if a guy can get a shortblock or a longblock reman. engine and where??
Old 07-15-2006, 10:22 PM

I think you can get both short and long blocks from Cummins and as I said eiler you should find a nother mode of transportation cause this will not go away and it will omly get worse and cost you more money to fix it

I work for a Caterpillar dealer and have seen may rigs come in on the tow truck cause the engine shutdown was overrided by the drive so that he could get a few more miles down the road to the next coffie shop or what ever but only to have to pay to replace the engine cause he overrided the computer and kept running the engine

I just want to say that I'm not trying to sound like a **** here I just hate to see people make things worse cause if it caught soon enought it might be a little bill instead of a huge one
Old 07-15-2006, 10:46 PM
The Guru

I'm just gonna throw something out at you. Check your exhaust manifold is tight and all the bolts are there. I thought that my engine was knocking and made one heck a noise once I built up boost levels above 20psi. My back two bolts where gone and you could be soot all over the cylinder head. 1300 deg's is that bad, I've melted the insolator pad on the fire wall and my wiring harness. My pyro died a slowly and wasn't reading right for a long time. I just kept smelling something burning and just thought that it was the chevy in front of me.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
#6 is my bet....
Old 07-16-2006, 07:58 AM
Banned

was that 1300 pre or post turbo?

Quick Reply: Beat The Chev Now I'm Knocking!!!