24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Bad Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Turbo?

I just got back from the dealership because the 0234 and 0500 codes popped up again. The first time it came up a couple of weeks ago I took it in because it is still under warranty to have the waste gate loosened and cleaned up. They agreed that was the problem and did just that. Now they tell me Chrysler suggested and authorized the turbo to be replaced. I've been lurking here for quite a while and learnt a lot however, I have not heard of this happening. I always let the the engine cool down and switched to synthetic after break-in. I usually get a chance to talk to the diesel tech at that shop but I was in a rush and did not get a chance to. They ordered the turbo and will be here in couple of days. I can't understand how the turbo itself could cause an over-boost condition. Thanks for any feedback you guys can give me, I really appreciate it.

Current mileage: 73K still all stock........until I hit 100K
Old 04-08-2005, 08:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I replaced a turbo not too long ago on an 01 that was setting the overboost code. Testing it would show that sometimes the wastegate would not open until 25-28 psi. No serviceable parts through dodge on it so it got a new unit. Personally I think the correct fix for this would have been to install an EZ Edge .
Old 04-08-2005, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditto J BODY, it's not the turbo 'causing' the overboost, it's the sticky wastegate not bypassing exhaust gas at the correct factory setting. I've read that trucks that don't get worked hard enough to open the wastegate often are prone to this condition. Also, adding a boost elbow (manual trans) or turnbuckle/spring (auto) without some boost fooler electronics will do the same thing.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I keep getting the p0234 code all the time, I don't know what the 500 code is though?

I can hit like 25 psi with my stock truck. Not sure how to fix it yet, obviously the waste gate isn't working right. I don't want to do any dammage....

What affect does the p0234 code have on the operation of the engine if any???

I thought these things would defuel when they got over 20 psi. Does this condition help or hinder your performance/ mileage?

But hey, if they want to give you a new turbo for free, I'd say let them!
Old 04-08-2005, 01:08 PM

The 0500 is a speed sensor code which I don't know how it is related to this problem. The truck seriously de-fuels when I get on it. I argree that the turbo itself should not be causing an overboost condition. The wastegate seems to be separate from the turbo so I would think that would be the culprit and thus replaced......or a blocked tube. They just called me and scheduled Tuesday for the work to be done. I'll make sure I talk to the tech to get clarification.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:54 PM

one thing that is not really ever mentioned with respect to turbo chargers is that they will cause
overboosting is the wastegate is stuck. Way back when I had a 930 porsche (911 turbo) and the
std proceedure was to upon warmup stomp on it in 1st and make sure the wastegate opens.
One the 930 you can hear it clearly when it opens. In damp environments you want to do
it maybe once a week. On that car a stuck wastegate is a BAD thing. Everybody above is right about the wastegate on the CTD. I live in a dry area and have never seen my gate stick at
all but I do stomp on it now and again. From what I've been told by the porsche engine builders
the problem is water condensate can cause corrosion and sticking. One tip they had was to avoid short trips and try to get the car up to temp as often as possible to drive the condensate out
of the exhaust system

paul in texas