24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

axle leak...any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
axle leak...any suggestions

I had the bearings let loose on the drivers side rear. the seal was ruined. Had a new put in along with bearings and the place said that the spindle looked fine. Well it isn't. The spindle has a groove in it of I'd say a couple thousandths and is causing a leak. its not sealing. Is there anyway to fill this groove in without having to but a new one.$330. Maybe some fast weld or something. all ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 11-14-2005, 04:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A good machine shop should be able to build it back up and machine it down for less than you were quoted for the new one...JB Weld and fine polishing cloth has been used by a backyard wrench or two over the years, but what with all the hassle, I'd look into the machine shop route...
Old 11-14-2005, 04:25 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I personally think you might be better off having a machine shop take a "skim cut" on the spindle shaft where it is worn if in fact the groove is shallow. I don't know the heat treat of the spindle or the material but welding will create stress risers that could lead to premature failure unless the welder is on top of his metalurgey and can do the proper post heat.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to a real parts supplier other than Dodge and get the proper speedy sleeve for the spindle and seal, or B get busy and use emery strip and properly refinish the spindle end. Re install with a bit lubriplate or light synthetic grease on the seal lip contacting the spindle. Check for proper bearing preload, possibly what took the seal out in the first place. PK
Old 11-14-2005, 05:25 PM

I was wodering if they made a sleeve to go over it.
Where could zi get one of these. The groove is not too deep. but enouhgh to make it leak.
Dan
Old 11-14-2005, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The shop that did the work should be warrantying the problem but go to any part supplier with a good partsman and he should be able to give you a good quality seal and speedy sleeve. Unless the groove is really deep some polishing and a little seal doctoring will work, the retainer spring in a new seal can be shortened a bit by reweaving it inside itself a couple of wraps shorter. Some newer seals have no spring but the speedy sleeve will more than make up for the material loss in the groove. Another method is don't seat the seal totally in the hub and it will run beside the groove just set it flush with the outside edge of the drive hub. PK
Old 11-14-2005, 10:22 PM
TJT

Just a point of interest, I installed a speedy sleeve & seal on a 3/4 ton Chev 4x4 rear axel in '79 & it is still holding well! Should be no problem. Have used them several times, axels, transmission output shafts, etc.
TJT