24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

auto won't shift from 1st to 2nd without backing off throttle

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
auto won't shift from 1st to 2nd without backing off throttle

I have a 2000 Ram 3500 with a Edge EZ. All of a sudden my auto tranny won't shift from first to second unless I back off the throttle. It is fine
empty in town. But I sure can't pull my 5th wheel like this. Is the 1 to 2
shift electric or hydraulic/mechanical? The tranny shop says I need a
rebuild because the first to second is hydraulic/mechanical. I thought on
the 2000 it was electric.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:22 AM
Banned

it should be electric. mine did the same thing. ended up needing a new trans. i changed out some parts. made it better but not fixed till i got a rebuild.

if you contact goerands transmission. they might help you solve your problem if its somthing.. mine ended up not being able to shift into 2nd with out redlining 1st , letting off then feathering the throttle untill it shifted.
if the trans has more then 80,000 mils .its about due. and you can get an upgraded valve body and torque converter!
Old 09-27-2007, 08:44 AM

BioRunner, I thank you. The truck is in the tranny shop but he has had it for seven days now and the tranny the last time was there on tuesday was a pile of parts and pieces sitting on a cart. Then he said he was waiting on a torque converter and could not get one until I checked with PDQ in Sacramento who had several in stock and now I don't know why the truck just sits there. I was wondering if maybe he doesn't really know why it won't shift right and he was trying to really figure out what the problem was now that he is rebuilding it.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:27 AM

I was going to say it could be your Governor solenoid, but it looks like your tranny is already apart.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:28 AM

Him ordering a new torque converter means hes on the right track. TC slippage was the first thing I thought of when I read the title of the thread.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:40 AM

96 and up has a govenor solinoid & transductor. Sounds like they may be your problem. If the kickdown cable is out of adjustment this could also cause this complaint.
If it was a 2-3 no shift problem most likely the lip seal on the front drum clutch pack is bad and the trans would have to come out for this repair.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:24 PM

If you have a scan tool present and you wanted to check some things out. Check out the Governor Pressure in your tranny at idle. It should be 0 at idle being as your throttle is at 0 Percent as well. If the pressure is high, then it is probably your governor solenoid (my truck has this problem as well)
Old 09-27-2007, 12:30 PM

I had the same problem with the truck I own...okay, the guy that owned the truck before me had this problem. They tore down the tranny and rebuilt it. Same problem. They then put a new tranny in. Problem solved. That tranny was put in another truck with the same problem. Come to find out, it was a sensor.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:33 PM

My truck did the same thing.

It was the the converter.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:38 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kbrashears
I had the same problem with the truck I own...okay, the guy that owned the truck before me had this problem. They tore down the tranny and rebuilt it. Same problem. They then put a new tranny in. Problem solved. That tranny was put in another truck with the same problem. Come to find out, it was a sensor.
Which sensor?
Old 09-27-2007, 12:39 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sixxer
My truck did the same thing.

It was the the converter.
Wouldn't every gear shift, including the final lock-up be affected if it was the torque converter?
Old 09-27-2007, 12:43 PM

That's what I thought.

Eventually it kept doing it and completely went out.

So the tranny AND converter had to be rebuilt.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by JPR Ram
Which sensor?
I'm not sure. I just know that my truck has a brand new transmission at the 70k mark.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:44 PM

It could have been the speed sensor kbrashears tranny.

It could be as simple as the kickdown band needing adjustment, your governor/transducer solenoid stuck, or your speed sensor. Or it could be possibly your TC or something along those lines. I will take a video of how my truck shifts right now and post it up once I am home from work tonight. I have been told my problem is my governor solenoid so maybe your truck is shifting the same.

Dinner
Old 09-28-2007, 01:19 AM

Well here are a couple vids I made on my way to work.

The first one is holding the accelerator in 1st for a bit, and then finally letting off to let it shift. And then Accelerating about medium throttle in 2nd, and around 45km/h is where it slips and I have to let off for it to shift back into 2nd.

The 2nd video is how I drive it everyday, slowwwwwwww acceleration.

Is your truck shifting like this, or almost like it?

Dinner

Quick Reply: auto won't shift from 1st to 2nd without backing off throttle