24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Auto trans removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Auto trans removal

I have all the parts/tools together to overhaul my trans. I will be doing the job at the school I teach at. I have an above ground hoist but the bay is very tight space wise. I will have to lift truck, drop trans ( I have a tranny jack) than drop truck and roll away to store vehicle while I do the overhaul. Instructions call for jacking up the rear of engine while dropping the trans. Can I move the vehicle around with transmission removed? I just crawled underneath ( it's raining) and there only appears to be 1 pair of engine mounts.
I could remove the trans and leave the truck in the next bay, but I would like to use the hoist rather than doing the removal lying on my back.
Any advice?
Thanks in advance.
Alan
Old 05-19-2007, 05:18 PM

I didn't jack up the motor when I did mine. Its an 03, but it should be similar. Drain fluids, take off the drive shafts, yank all the plugs, then the transfer case, support the tranny, unbolt it, and drop it down. Pretty easy, and I didn't have a lift either. One piece of advice. Don't buy a tranny jack from harbor freight. lol
Old 05-19-2007, 05:27 PM

nope dont have to support the motor i took my trans out last friday due to input shaft breaking had the trans out in about 45 minutes (i mechanic for a living)
Old 05-19-2007, 05:38 PM

There is no need to support the motor. The only pointer is that you may need a port-a-power to spread the frame to get the crossmember out and back in.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:52 PM

Thanks

Thanks very much for the replies! Looks like tomorow I go to work (school) and pull out the transmission. Really looking forward to having a "new" transmission. How long before I have to celebrate with new injectors?
Alan
Old 05-19-2007, 06:23 PM

Right now.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:29 AM

Trans removal

Originally Posted by curts99
nope dont have to support the motor i took my trans out last friday due to input shaft breaking had the trans out in about 45 minutes (i mechanic for a living)
Just rode my bike home from school, transmission is on the floor. Took me about 5 hours to the job! I didn't have too much trouble with the cross member, I did use a BFH but didn't have to beat on it too hard to remove it. I had more grief from the transfer case and bell housing bolts. I would hate to do the job on the ground laying down. There sure is a lot of fluid inside one of those things. I drained the pan, but it kept on bleeding for quite a while!
Tomorow I will clean off the trans and start to dissasemble.
Alan
Old 05-30-2007, 11:12 PM

I did my trans out 4 times in a month and a half peroid on my back and it took me 41 minutes to get it out and 1.5 hours to get it in. You will have fun getting the crossmeber in just spread the frame. good luck on the rebuild!
Old 05-31-2007, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CL2000
. You will have fun getting the crossmeber in just spread the frame. good luck on the rebuild!
That doesn't sound fun! I want to replace/rebuild my tranny, but now I am not sure it is something I am equiped to do! I need a transmission jack obviously, but how does one spread the frame?? Bottle jack and some 6x6's?
Old 05-31-2007, 08:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zulusafari
but how does one spread the frame?? Bottle jack and some 6x6's?
That works too!!
Old 05-31-2007, 08:45 AM

Fill plug wrench sizes?

What's the size of the fill/drain plug's on the 4500 nv and the transfer case, one of them is a allen head bolt/plug, wasn't it on the transfer case. ----need to check the fluid levels, and I don't have the truck with me right now, I need to stop and buy one. I was thinking it was a 17mm or something like that, maybe, never mind I can't remember.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:19 PM

trans

The fill plug on transfer case is 10mm , a 3/8 hex key will also work. I really didn't have a great deal of trouble withe the cross member. With mine, I just knocked it out with a mni sledge. Just make sure you don't get it twisted as it would then tend to bind up.
As far as the rebuild goes, I have taken all the subassemblies apart including the OD unit. I had 220K on the truck and it looks pretty good inside. There are lots of parts, but I am confident it will go well on the re assembly. Take your time, use the reference material.
When I am done, I will make a post with pictures and dimensions of all the tools I had to use. I have been able to make every thing I have needed. Front drum compressor, OD spring compressor, bushing install/removers and the gauge bar for the od.
Alan
Old 05-31-2007, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlanF
The fill plug on transfer case is 10mm , a 3/8 hex key will also work. I really didn't have a great deal of trouble withe the cross member. With mine, I just knocked it out with a mni sledge. Just make sure you don't get it twisted as it would then tend to bind up.
As far as the rebuild goes, I have taken all the subassemblies apart including the OD unit. I had 220K on the truck and it looks pretty good inside. There are lots of parts, but I am confident it will go well on the re assembly. Take your time, use the reference material.
When I am done, I will make a post with pictures and dimensions of all the tools I had to use. I have been able to make every thing I have needed. Front drum compressor, OD spring compressor, bushing install/removers and the gauge bar for the od.
Alan
Please do post your results along with pics, lots of pics. I'm probably going to rebuild mine because I'm too stupid to back down from a challenge and am the type to jump into something that's above my skill level but somehow I've always been able to come out of it without doing too much damage. I'm about ready for a new project anyway.